1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

school newspaper- ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amy9999, Mar 27, 2011.

1. I want to start a new newspaper club--where the children are in charge of and make their own newspaper maybe once every term (short term). I was wondering if anybody out there has any ideas on how to get started or suggestions on what to do/not to do to maek the club a success.
    Thank you in advance!

2. If you send me your email address, I can send you some of the articles that my newspaper club have written. You might have to wait a week or two though, as I'm about to go on a KS2 residential followed by the holidays!!

My club has 14 Year 4 and 5s. We produce one paper every long term and try to keep the articles about school life so that they are not just re-hashing news stories that they have found online. So sports results, school events, 'agony aunt' etc... They always want a games page too and I always feel sorry for teachers who are trying to get work done after school, as there are a LOT of teacher interviews!!

We generally spend the first session making a list of possible articles and looking at First News, Espresso newsbites, Newsround, etc. Then I usually just let them get on with it, with the list as a prompt.

One tip: for the first paper, we had a designated editor. Bit of a mistake as she went a bit power mad! I've found a collaborative club has worked best - everyone has a go at taking photos, making wordsearches, blah blah, but they all understand that not every piece will make 'the final cut'.

Good luck!

3. thanks thisisbanane....it all sounds good just what i wanted to do actually. A few examples would be fantastic!
    amyhodgson67@yahoo.com
    Thank you :)

4. Hi, I know this was posted a while ago but if you're still doing this, would you possibly be able to send me a copy to look at please? I really want to go ahead with this and your ideas sound perfect for what I want.

Loz3500@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.