1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School musicals? Help and suggestions x

Discussion in 'Music' started by nataliemusic, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Any suggestions on a good school musical? From a music point of view it has to be suitable for a 'rock band' to do the music.

Cheers x

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

You could write one.

3. We have just done Grease (2 electric guitars, 1 bass guitar, drums, keyboard, 1 tenor sax) which my students found pretty easy.

4. Godspell : script is very wordy and requires a lot of commitment from the director who really needs to share your vision on this production (hi there Mrs M - we got there in the end..). Little Shop : very satisfying all round EXCEPT we triple-cast the backing vocal girls so that we could reinforce harmonies and share some solos.. I saw a school production elsewhere recently and there they had each stage b.v. girl doubled by a pit-based girl. One of my favourite shows is A Slice of Saturday Night - a little-known coming of age piece set in a 1960s niteclub - you need only 4 peeps in the band (keys, bass, drums and a Shadows-type lead guitar) although you could expand this - but its content is 'parental advisory" and I have only ever done it off-site - plus there are something like 30 songs for the small cast of nine to learn. Check it out.

5. Return to the Forbidden Planet - Rock combo.... and the kids love it.