1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Musical.....

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by katiewoolhouse, Feb 24, 2017.

1. katiewoolhouse

katiewoolhouse New commenter

So stuck!! What to do.. what to do... help!! Im liking the idea of Grease because I am at a new school and im building the profile of PA in the school - Grease has a lot of characters both male and female.... but is it expensive?? I don't know... and also school of rock but do I need a really good guitar playing lead for this?? If so I'm not sure I have one, no sixth form...ideas please!

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Bugsy Malone?

3. mithnoviel

mithnoviel New commenter

Honk? I love that show!

4. schnapple

schnapple New commenter

Guys and Dolls
    Oliver
    Sweet Charity
    Fame

These have been my favourites over last few years

5. robliverpooluk

robliverpooluk New commenter

'The New Adventures of Superstan' or anything by Craig Hawes. Brilliant! Aimed more at upper Primary but great fun!

6. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Grease is expensive & the differences between the film & the musical can make the musical,unpopular

7. schnapple

schnapple New commenter

we are currently rehearsing for Sweet Charity and it is fab

8. petrichor89

petrichor89 New commenter

Just to say - 'School of Rock' has free rights at the end of the year, and you don't technically need any musicians - there is the option of stems if you have some/ all of the kids playing their own instruments, or full backing tracks if you choose to have no live music. The tracks and libretto are of excellent quality. I will say that you'll need a very strong student to play Dewey Finn - he'll have to carry the whole show, realistically, and is barely off stage for the two hours duration. Brilliant show though - we did at at the end of the summer term and it is my favourite teaching experience in my whole career so far!

9. tgagrant

tgagrant New commenter

West Side Story!