1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School moving the goalposts .

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by CheesedTA, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Can anyone clarify a pay and conditions point for me.
    I am currently working as a TA for four mornings a week, various things have now happened and I have two choices, I can basically be dumped out of my TA role or I have to work 5 mornings a week plus lunchtimes as a dinner lady. I have a permanent contract which states 4 mornings a week as a TA.
    I've taken legal advice but just wanted feedback from others this may have happened to?

2. Can anyone clarify a pay and conditions point for me.
    I am currently working as a TA for four mornings a week, various things have now happened and I have two choices, I can basically be dumped out of my TA role or I have to work 5 mornings a week plus lunchtimes as a dinner lady. I have a permanent contract which states 4 mornings a week as a TA.
    I've taken legal advice but just wanted feedback from others this may have happened to?

3. Contact your union. This doesn't sound right to me :/

4. Thanks. Although I have spoken to a union, I am not actually a member (stupid I know). The legal advice I have states they can't do this either but its actually getting the school to sort it out that is an issue. I have legal cover so it won't cost me anything to pursue this but I don't want to have to go down that route because I love that school and working there I just don't want everything to be changed.
    Another TA that started when I did was taken on as TA 5 mornings and the dinner lady too so that is different but NONE of the other TAs are being asked to change their roles AND if they had let me move to 5 mornings a week when I offered last year, it wouldn't have now involved me having to do dinner duties so I feel this isn't right either.

5. Are you on a temporary or permanent contract?
    I would think that the two roles are different and you cannot be compelled to take on a new role.
    Is the Head offering TA or Lunchtime supervisor rate for the job?
    The problem is that Lunchtime staff can be difficult to retain as the hours are limited to (5ish hours) and people move on to more lucrative jobs. Heads then see a ready made pool of support staff and think the roles are interchangeable and will try to push it.
    Join a Trade Union ASAP!

6. I am on a permanent contract which states I am a TA for four mornings a week. I would be getting TA rate for all hours but its not about the money to me.

7. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Why not suggest the head employs another person for the extra day and alo offer them the lunch time job too.
    If you don't want to do lunch time duties you will have to stand your ground and say so and yes you may risk loosing your job. if you were in a union they could support your argument that only you are being asked to change your role and not the other TAs, but I don't think a Union would take on an ongoing dispute.

At the end of the day the school can change our contracts. They just end our current one and ask us to sign a new one. This has happened with job evaluation for many TAs. It is individual schools that decide that they will use TAs fo lunch time duties. No TA in my school have this forced on them and we all get 1 hour at lunch time the same as teaching staff.

8. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Your Head cannot change your contract like that without your agreement, unless he/she makes the post redundant.

9. MDSA's are paid at a different rate to TA's so you will need to check that as well. We have great difficulty in gaining MDSA staff and keeping them. I am employed on different contracts for each job.