1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School meals service

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mickeyforpresident, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

I'm fed up of my school dinner service : meals are now 2 pounds and portions are dire : children in juniors are moaning about being hungry.

I don't want to run the kitchen myself.

Are there any other options?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Put the contract out to tender inviting bids from companies for it.

3. Presumably you have bought into the LA school meals service, or similar and are not contracted directly with a provider.
    Get hold of the service district or regional manager and make your dissatisfaction crystal clear and ask for an action plan from them to improve matters which doesn't involve yet another price hike.
    £2 is quite a high price.

4. Tried the School Food Trust? I work for the Trust and there's a DIY guide to the various options here http://www.schoolfoodtrust.org.uk/schools/resources/a-quick-guide-to-reviewing-your-school-catering-service. Alternatively, get in touch to speak to someone in the team about how we could help on 0114 2742318 / info@sft.gsi.gov.uk. <u></u>

5. Do get in touch if you want help or advice - and we can put you in touch with other heads who've done this sort of thing already if that would be useful. Does take time but well worth it!