1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School league tables

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by segbog, Dec 16, 2011.

1. http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/testing-time-for-glasgow-schools-1.1139939

Read this the other day. Thinking it is a real pile of nonsense, as it does not take into consideration the areas of deprivation. The schools that have done really well are in middle -class, well to do areas.
    Yet the schools that have done well stick to traditional teaching methods, in the main. It's weans in seats, having respect and learning. The ones that have done very badly have adopted the CfE in earnest. You can't blame them really, as academia is really not the priority in socially deprived areas.
    I think it comes down to the parents really. Look at the success of the exam factories, i.e. the private schools. They are so successful because mammy and daddy are shelling out a fortune on wee Kirsty to become a doctor. There is parental backing.
    Should we be judging schools only on Higher passes?

2. lookinglost

lookinglost New commenter

I don't believe we have official league tables in Scotland, correct me if I'm wrong. In fact I think LTS and now ES do not release bulk tables of information but instead release data on individual schools on the Scottish Schools online site. I believe the media generates its own league tables and the one I've seen actually used percentage of pupils who received schools meals to help with rankings. Admittedly I'm not sure how useful the info on free school meals really is.
    T
    I'm not sure I agree entirely with that post. In fact I know Heads of Departments in my subject whose schools are on the list, both private and state schools, and they don't just stick to traditional teaching methods. However, they obviously don't drop what is working, they develop it. Also these Heads of Departments when I last spoke to them were adopting CfE in 'earnest'. This is anecdotal evidence as I obviously haven't done an official survey and yes all of them express concern over areas of CfE, especially assessment. They also speak very positively of some of the aspects that CfE has brought in, in particular classroom teaching.
    I think what you'll find in these schools in the main, is good Senior Management(along with good pupils). Something I think you've touched on before. Another anecdote being I noticed a school in the list that has only recently appeared after a whole scale change in the SMT. Good SMTs don't think that all traditional teaching and learning has to go with arrival of CfE, instead they understand that the practices encouraged under CfE go hand in hand with traditional strategies.
    Sorry to go off on a tangent re CfE but I wanted to give another perspective. To answer your question on Higher passes: No we shouldn't. But like waiting lists for the NHS, Higher passes is a bench mark the public can understand stand. O ye, it also sells papers.

3. No. It should be about outcomes for the children who leave. % of NEET, maybe?

4. Some good points raised folks. % of NEET is a nice one - but would that really apply to the schools in the "top" 5 if I can use that word?

5. It would let you see how many went off to doss on a gap year or faff about in an unpaid internship. Unless you use some kind of "value added" measure it would be hard to even out inequalities in the social circumstances of the intake. What do we want from our education system? I'd settle for increasing opportunities and giving kids the knowledge and skills to succeed in life. If we could measure how many we've managed to keep off serious drugs, out of jail, out of abusive relationships and in work or study, well, that would do me.

6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

We should also have a column for how many tutors per subject!
    Wealthy parents can buy their kids exam passes whereas parents in deprived areas cannot. If you look at the top 2 or 3 council areas they are all affluent, leafy suburbs, they don't necessarily have the best teachers. To me the best teachers are those who can engage with the most deprived and disillusioned kids often in the "roughest" parts of our big cities
    Would love to see East Ren amalgamated with Glasgow again - that was the biggest case of gerrymandering ever in the 1990s when the council map was redrawn. It is an area that cannot fail to be No. 1 considering its catchment.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Personally, I don't think it would simply because the problems mentioned are often more easily hidden within wealthy/supportive families.