1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

School Journey Injury

Discussion in 'School trips' started by StephenC91, Apr 23, 2015.

  1. Hi All,

    I am currently finishing getting things ready to take my class of Year 5 children to the Isle of Wight on a residential.

    Today I found out that a child in my class broke his arm in two places yesterday evening. We are going in two weeks and as such he would obviously be in plaster when the residential is taking place.

    I've been asked to complete an initial risk assessment for him for the journey to ensure that we have the correct provision in place for him should his parents agree for him to come with us still. Can anyone suggest particular things I may need to consider, as this will be my first proper residential trip?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

    You should add an piece to your risk assessment specific to the child. First of all you need to meet with parents to find out the specifics of his injury. You then need to take each piece of your trip and see how it affects him.

    Travel: How long can he sit/can he sit. Presumably the bus will have lap straps rather then 3 point belts.

    Sleeping. Can he lie down in bed? Obviously a low bunk for him!

    Activities. What can he do and what can't he do. Contact the centre, they may have experience of dealing with injured/disabled kids and can adapt things for him.

    Medication. Will he need painkillers? These should be prescribed and then administered according to your schools medications policy.

    Will you need an additional staff ,member to keep an eye on him?

    You may need to inform your insurers and the centre in advance so that they can check their insurance. Also inform your LEA outdoor education/safety services if you are an LEA school.

    If you are an LEA school then you may be lucky and have an outdoor ed advisor you can contact or the LEA may have a consultant they use who can help.

    Your school should have an EVC (Educational Visits Co-ordinator) who has done the proper courses and should be your first port of call.

    Hope this helps.

    Keep in touch if you need anything else
  3. Blazer thank you so much for the quick and detailed reply, you are a star!

    I will get on top of those things tomorrow and get back to you if I need anything else.

    Thanks :)
  4. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

    No problem. But definitely bend the ear of your EVC! That is what he/she is paid for.

Share This Page