1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCHOOL INSPECTIONS: Don't Make Monsters Out of School Inspectors

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Jan 3, 2019.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

'Don't Make Monsters Out of School Inspectors' https://www.tes.com/news/dont-make-monsters-out-school-inspectors No, it's not what I'm saying. I'm lucky enough to be retired from teaching now and lucky enough to have taught for 30 plus years without an inspector coming into my classroom. My good exam results showed that I did my work well - - - and so I feel sorry for you who have to be inspected in this modern age. What do you all feel?

install likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Yeah, we didn't read that one either. Everything I ever read or heard about "inspectors" was bad. I used to liken them to dementors, sucking the life out of teachers and teaching. I encountered them. Jobsworths.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Inspectors aren't monsters....

I'm sure they aren't... probably nice people with lovely families... all cuddles and love.

But... the culture that has surrounded education for the last decade, one of targets, performance, capability, support programmes... that stems directly from them and from weak willed SLT believing that driving their staff into high stress states, mental health breakdown and other horrors is the only way to achieve what is needed.

I've seen enough people vanish with an agreed statement read out... I've been one of them.

So no they aren't monsters... they are just another cog in a machine that churned and churned, never thinking of the damage, debris and wreckage of lives left in its wake.

WB, alex_teccy, Shedman and 16 others like this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ofsted don't look to hard and turn blind eyes if you're popular with the minister

Top Academy Chain Accused Of ‘Cheating’ Ofsted Inspections At Multiple Schools

National Education Union is now calling for the government to step in, after Ofsted "failed to act" on a number of troubling allegations.

I'm sure Inspiration Trust enjoy their favoured status too. Don't like your report, have a moan to the right people and get it rewritten.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/inspiration-trust-earns-softer-ofsted-report-after-four-month-turnaround/

install likes this.
  6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Good post Lanks

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I went through the application process once, but withdrew quite late on.

The reason I did it was to engineer myself into a position where I could tell them exactly what I thought of them.

vampires. Everything in the application process and everybody I met in the experience confirmed that.

The job requirements are basically an enjoyment of bullying and an ability to act out power games.

Knowledge of subjects or understanding of education not required. You do need to have a demonstrable history of trampling on people

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

100%

A stain on our profession that too many ignore.

And we're paying the price now.

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Absolutely.

10. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Unless you are doing it for the reasons Dunnocks states, I can't imagine what sort of person would actually want to apply for the job of Ofsted inspector, knowing in what low regard most of the teaching profession hold them.

It's all very well to say that there is no point fearing inspectors when evidently they are to be feared considering the effect they can have on a school and people's careers. If your experience of Ofsted has been mostly negative over the years, then yes, you will fear and dislike inspectors. Obviously.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

exactly, the whole application procedure is designed to attract unpleasant know-it-alls. I think you need couple of years experience of teaching, and two years experience of management, thats all, In other words, the length of time it takes to fail completely in teaching, apparently equips you for inspection.

What sort of person thinks they can inspect after two years as head of department? Basically, people who can't hack it on the chalk face, that's who

yes, the people who apply WANT to be feared.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I have written this elsewhere on this d forum. During my last Ofsted inspection before I retired, the chap who observed me asked if I had thought of becoming an inspector. I spoke without thinking, and not for the first time :oops:, and said I couldn't do that because I had a conscience. The guy looked as though I'd smacked his face. :oops:

13. red_observer

That’s made me smile!

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So nobody thinks anybody should be inspected about their jobs?

15. red_observer

No one would say that but the process of being assessed on one lesson is daft. Yet the same can be said about in house observations. I don’t know what the answer is. Perhaps more on the all round competency of the teacher not just if your face fits.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  16. Dragonlady30

:oops:

:D

17. Dragonlady30

Of course, if it was open and transparent, not full of a hidden agenda as it has been.

18. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Many of us here can remember pre-Ofsted days when we had HMI inspectors. I didn't have much experience of them before Ofsted came on the scene but I do remember being treated as a fellow professional and it feeling as though it was a collaborative process rather than the obscure and judgemental one I associate with Ofsted.

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well done.
    But.
    Just how? (My career is of similar length (and still counting) yet I've been inspected as frequently as there's been a new Doctor Who. At least.)
    Ludicrously this brought to mind the act of waiting by a fruit machine watching others participate and then swooping in once they depart suddenly ruing their actual and inevitable loss.
    And so I imagine you strategising your job searches in only schools which had just been inspected. Pockets full of Liberty to Teach. Kerching.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  20. red_observer

Good post