1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Ingnore Minimum Temperature Laws

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MrMcGuffie, Sep 7, 2020.

1. MrMcGuffie

MrMcGuffie New commenter

My school is throwing open its windows as part of its coronavirus strategy regardless of the weather. Teachers on social media are telling me that their schools are doing the same. Don't schools have to abide by minimum temperature laws? When I've questioned this, I've just been told to wear more layers and wrap up warm.
    What is happening in your schools?

2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If i was feeling under the weather I would self-certify if my working environment was under 16.

Sally006 likes this.
  4. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

The minimum temperature recommended for classrooms is 18 degrees

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Pomza, PeterQuint and agathamorse like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When we had issues with this I got a bunch of thermometers from science and bluetacked one to the wall next to the whiteboard in every affected classroom and asked the staff to make a note of readings.

Morninglover likes this.
  7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    PeterQuint likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's a tricky one. What's more important, fresh air to reduce infection risk or a sensible working temperature? At the moment, it's not an issue, but will be by November. I don't know the answer, but trying to work in a 15 degrees classroom is pretty miserable especially if the class is looking for any excuse to avoid challenge.
    I fear that in a couple of months more decisions and U turns will have been necessary.

ajrowing, Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

There are no minimum temp laws.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Allow all to wear coats otherwise infections will rise so fast.

bessiesmith2 and agathamorse like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

At the moment there is no issue with open windows.
    It was warm enough outside to want them open today.

Pomza and TheHeadteachersOffice like this.
  12. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

I had every window I could open wide today. Getting chilly up North and had some staff complain but I hate stuffy classrooms at the best of times, never mind just now!

I can see everyone having to work in gloves and scarves come Winter.

13. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

When our boiler broke down, we still had to come into work - the lower school didn't have to drag themselves in, but KS4 & 5 did. It was during the 'Beast from the East' 2010 and temperatures plummeted to -2C in my classroom!! It was so cold, I had 2 jumpers, a coat and a hot water bottle strapped to me....I'm not going to start complaining about a bit of a breeze coming in through the window :)

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  14. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Once upon a time I recall there being a level. School heating broke down. I thought it was carry on in coats until it fell below 15C. My memory might not be right though. I certainly recall accurately that children still went outside to play in Ontario in winter until it went below minus 15. It’s not just the temperature though it will be wind and rain blowing in that is a problem.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Some will find the Science to say keeping classes of 30 ventilated isn’t necessary. Bit like the 2m rule when they discovered you couldn’t fit more than 6 into a U.K. classroom and then the 1 m rule but only “if you can”. Our are about 25cm apart. It’s the only way to get them all in.