1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by beckstone_, Feb 18, 2020.

1. beckstone_

beckstone_ New commenter

Hi!

Does anyone know anything about Nord Anglia school in Shanghai BISS Puxi? And can anyone tell me what living in Shanghai is like?

Thanks!

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Not sure how long this will stay up as you aren't suppose to name schools. When I worked there, admittedly some years ago, this school was renowned as being penny pinching and for treating staff badly. Shanghai is an interesting place to live, it has all of the mod cons of London or Paris but also with some of the old world charm of the French Concession and the Bund. Interesting seeing someone looking to move into China at a time when we are mainly seeing applications from both staff and pupils trying to leave....

Perce

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Plenty of threads on working in China and NA if you do a search.

I know plenty of teachers who work in all of NA schools in Shanghai. The trick to working there is to keep your mouth shut and not to be noticed by the management. As a rule of thumb if the principal doesn't know your name you are doing fine! (This can be said for a lot of profit making schools in Shanghai) Many a successful teacher has stayed and worked in such as a school as no one even the students doesn't know their name! The biggest issue is the number of principals the school eats up, a new principal take charge one year only to be replaced by a new suit next year and no one noticed.

The real issue is job security in the INTERNATIONAL section of the school as the number of expat students all over Shanghai is going to nose dive next year. I don't see expat families rushing back to China after this current set of events. The number of GM mini vans returned to the dealership near me is an indication of the families not coming back, it got to the point where drivers where dumping the vans on the road outside as no space to park inside the lot and posting the keys in the letter box.

4. danrazzaq1

danrazzaq1 New commenter

Feel free to send a conversation to me as I just finished working there as of last summer.