1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School in Milan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by blackberryblossom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. blackberryblossom

blackberryblossom New commenter

I am considering applying to an IB school in Milan. Any information about living and working in Milan will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. 24hours

24hours New commenter

don’t expect to save any money. Salaries in Italy are generally poor and the north is one of the more expensive schools parts

3. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Very difficult to rent.
    I worked at a rotten IB school and left after 2 terms. Was required to set work for rich kids who didn't attend then paid tutors to do assignments , then I was supposed to grade. An absolute waste of time.
    The only things I liked were Sempione park, chianti and perroni.

4. blackberryblossom

blackberryblossom New commenter

Was it a very large IB school with 3 campuses?

5. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Well I shouldn't identify it but it was large and part of a chain of schools. I had a bad experience so I wouldn't like to put you totally off.

I was doing maternity cover for the head of a large department when I arrived I found out that I didn't have her timetable, classes or even classroom. The rest of the department had distributed her classes among themselves and had given me all the difficult classes they didn't want. So I was in the worst position in the worst department you have ever seen. I think my experience would have been better had I been in a different department or indeed HOD.

Of course that doesn't make renting any more easy. Milan is a major city and you need a proper salary to live there, something Londonish. They just don't pay that well although if it is the same school a lot of the rich Italian parents happily paid the teacher to tutor their offspring, which generally meant doing their IB assignments for them. Not something a proper UK teacher would really get involved in.