1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School in Kuwait

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by norwichred, Jan 8, 2019.

1. desertestrella7

desertestrella7 New commenter

AVOID THAT SCHOOL AT ANY COST!! I did 2 years there but almost all of us in secondary left at the same time. The following year there were 17 'runners' in the year...
    The Ministry is making it more difficult to get into Kuwait as they are getting strict on degrees matching teaching subjects in Secondary (so now many maths/physics teachers with an engineering degree for example, can't get a visa), the driving license situation is a nightmare compared to other Middle Eastern countries. Less people wanting to come here too so just send your email direct to the good schools - you never know!

2. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

@estrella7 are you still in Kuwait? If so, do you mind if I start a conversation?

3. desertestrella7

desertestrella7 New commenter

Feel free!

TomD12 likes this.
  4. choudhurynadeem

choudhurynadeem New commenter

Hi I would like to start a conversation with you, how do I do that. Can’t find an option to PM you!

5. norwichred

Hi

Did you mean me or estrella7?

6. bead

bead New commenter

Peakdj is spot on. I have been here many years and the changes started about 7 years ago. For those who had already been here for a while, we all had 10 year driving licences, own accomodation etc, but sadly Kuwait has deteriorated in the last 3 years and for new people arriving it is much more difficult than for the people who have been here a long time. It is dirty and expensive which saddens me since I have had many wonderful years here.
    The people though are generally friendly in my opinion and you could have a good life. Your problem norwichred will be your children. You really will not want them to go to school here. Also the medical facilities are being abandoned by the government to build new healthcare centres only for nationals.
    I have decided to do my last year here and I will miss it, but I am fed up with low quality **** and general degradation. I know there are worse places, and I have worked in them, but even third world countries offer better accomodation and better schools than Kuwait while improving the infrastructure.
    As for better packages, I do not know of anyone who has left Kuwait for a better financial package.

7. norwichred

Thank you bead.

I’ve had the interview this morning. It’s been 15 years since I’ve had an interview for a primary school position, so I don’t have a recent comparison but I have to say that I was rather impressed! I probably wouldn’t have posted here if the impression was entirely negative but it was actually completely positive. Interview lasted over an hour and I felt that the questions were probing and that the answers to my questions were honest and open. You got no sense of evasiveness at all.

I was impressed.

If I’m offered the position, then the package for a family may not match what we are looking for, but we will see,

But yes, it wasn’t what I was expecting at all.....

8. ericchamberlinis

ericchamberlinis New commenter

I would love to have a conversation with someone currently in Kuwait. Fairly simple questions like internet/cell service...
    Coming from the US. Thanks for any help....

9. scarfandhat

scarfandhat New commenter

I'm currently working in a school in Kuwait and plan to leave this year. Happy to answer any questions on living, working etc!

10. ericchamberlinis

ericchamberlinis New commenter

11. norwichred

Can anyone advise on costs in Kuwait? I was wondering what it would cost to rent a three bedroom apartment furnished, and how much if you managed to get a driving licence, it would cost a month to buy a car if you can’t afford to buy it up front? I know in some ME countries there are lease options for expats but not sure if this happens in Kuwait.

Also wondering if there are savings potentials on 1055KWD a month.

Thanks.

12. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter

norwichred: The following may give an idea:
    https://olx.com.kw/ad/3-bdr-furnished-apt-for-expats-in-salwa-ID6NJga.html

Getting a driving licence is becoming more difficult as MPs are trying to drastically cut down expat numbers in the country. If you do succeed, the cost of cars is very reasonable and car loans easy to obtain, often with very (if any) low interest.

That's a very low salary for Kuwait; I would be looking for at least another 500KD...

13. norwichred

Thank you.

Yes I’ve reached the decision that unfortunately for a family it’s not doable, particularly as it’s a one year contract that finishes on the last day of the academic year.

Back to looking,I guess!

14. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

They certainly will not offer free accomadation....but they might offer free accommodation.

15. bead

bead New commenter

Min 500 kwd for a reasonable furnished 3 bed apt.. 150 kwd for a rented car. You could not live on the remainder of that salary, unless you want to live on cheap vegetarian indian carry outs and a cockroach infested dump.
    That salary is far too low. It should be at least 1500 kwd plus accommodation and flights.

16. norwichred

Argggh it gets so confusing. I'm talking to someone else who seems to think that no schools in Kuwait would provide free flights for all dependents or free accommodation. They seem to think that the 150KWD allowance is pretty standard.

They're quite high up their scale and not earning what you're suggesting.

We seem to be getting very conflicting advice. Sometimes it's difficult to decide what to believe.

You must also remember my lack of recent experience meaning I need a year or two stepping stone......

17. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Join search associates. This would give you all the information you seem to be looking for. Their database is an extremely useful tool.

18. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I sympathize with your situation but you have to consider this is a historically bad school, poor package and hardship country to live in.

At least you will know what you are getting yourself into and you have a mission to get back onto the teaching ladder again.

19. lindsay_taylor2

lindsay_taylor2 New commenter

I was in Kuwait from 2000-2017 at three different schools, pre and post family, I can answer any questions

20. BondStreetBabe

BondStreetBabe New commenter