1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School holidays fail to compensate for teachers’ long hours

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Mar 20, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

It’s a common misconception that teachers enjoy long school holidays compared to the amount of annual leave entitlement offered in other professions. However, research has confirmed what some school staff have known for years, if not decades – that teachers work longer hours than police officers and nurses – even when school holidays are factored in.

A study by the National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER) has found that the long hours worked by teachers during term time “substantially exceeds” the extra time they get off work during school holidays.

The NFER compared teaching to policing and nursing. Using survey data from 2015-16, it found that teachers worked longer hours than these professions – even factoring in school holidays.‘

How many hours do you work in a week? Do you often work during the school holidays? Do you think teachers should get more time off and more quality time where they don’t have to do school-related work? What should be the holiday entitlement for teachers?

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...school-holidays-dont-make-teachers-long-hours

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I’m shocked....not really

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Senior commenter

Not news to me. I remember my diary of hours that I filled in for the NASUWT survey in the eighties - 56.5 hr was the average per week in term time.
    This all preceded the work load strikes back then nice to see we have gone full circle. Clearly teachers today do not think things are bad enough yet or they are a hardier lot than we were.

stonerose and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

browbeaten is the word that springs to mind

drek, stonerose and BetterNow like this.
  5. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

I have taken to asking, when told we must do x, y or z, Is this directed time?
    Young teachers look at me genuinely baffled. Have they not been told about DT? Do they think it a mythical beast?
    I never get an answer BTW.

drek, stonerose and BetterNow like this.
  6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Seriously, does anyone really think this is news? Well over 20 years ago I can remember sitting in the bar with fellow PGCE students and doing the maths on this. Even then, before UK teaching became the job from hell, the holidays didn't compensate for the extra time put in.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Thing is, when I started, although I worked long hours, the job itself was its own reward. I was working on things I wanted to do for my students, not pointless admin and box-ticking. Too many SMT don't get that, that every pointless task they ask us to do detracts from the quality of education we can offer.

8. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Compare away, I wouldn't do either of those jobs for twice the money and half the hours.

It would appear that I'm lucky to be working in a school which accepts my refusal to work during evenings, weekends and holidays.

install and palmtree100 like this.
  9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

Where do you hide the negatives?

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I can't talk about my conditions now, as I have escaped. In the past as @sparkleghirl says, the job was enough reward. There were times when I worked long hours during the week, but the holidays were sufficient for me not to do the arithmetic with the time. I had sufficient time during the week to do the things I really wanted to do that weren't work.

Mrs P recently packed in her part time primary job because the amount of work from 2 days teaching spilled into 7 days of prep, paperwork and meetings. Over a period of a couple of years, she realised that this was not what she wanted from life.

11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I resigned when my workload reached 70 hours per week and that was without fulfilling the new KS3 marking policy.

Oh, and I’d also worked most days of the summer break researching and resourcing a new A2 course ( which somebody idiot slt had decided to acquire without realising that you can’t change exam boards from AS to A2)

stonerose likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Personally - I think they do on the whole.

Apart from the fact that holidays are always more expensive in Summer

13. nervousned

nervousned Occasional commenter

You can switch but it involves a lot of paperwork. Usually it is just students switching institutions who do it which is the reason the possibility exists. If the paperwork isn't done, the students can end up with nothing.

14. lizziescat

No it wasn’t possible, due to the nature of the two boards’ syllabuses the was overlap between the unit completed at AS and those of our A2syllabus.
    Which is why non Alevel teaching SLT should have checked with an expert first.

Also they had already started an A2 unit elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  15. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

The responce when I first saw this.......No sheet sherlock!

stonerose and emerald52 like this.
  16. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I think the 3 x12 hour nursing shifts are a good idea.In school from 7.30 for 12 hours 3 dsys a week. All marking and prep done so that the other 4 days are yours.

mercedesmaddison likes this.
  17. nervousned

nervousned Occasional commenter

The overlap rules for Maths sound more lenient. Two thirds of the content was mandatory for all specifications anyway. For the other third, as long as you didn't do a module with the same name at A2 that you did at AS the switch was allowed, no matter the level of overlap. (Maths was already odd in that students could do AS modules for A2).

18. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Please excuse...think I've written this before but...

Long ago, in the mists of time, the Sec 4 Ed. made some half-hearted, 'sort-of' guidelines - forget the details - about 1265 hours only of directed times. (This was for the whole year, excluding of course the killer tasks of marking and records. Mustn't make it too easy for us). Some of the unions of the day asked members to keep account of hours worked. (Then, and now, probably an amusing novelty of an idea that teachers should clock their hours!:rolleyes:)

Grudgingly, I did it because it was yet another task to do, but it certainly was an eye-opener. Hours were used up long before end of year, and one mind blowing week of directed time - care of the Head from Hell - plus essential tasks, as listed in above paragraph and therefore not 'directed', led to near 90 hours in one week. I was left at almost breaking point. When a parent asked me about overtime pay, I came very near to violence if I had not been so cream-crackered!

No holiday can compensate you health wise when these extreme patterns become the norm rather than the exception. It's dangerous.

19. lizziescat

That was the problem

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Oh yes, I remember it well! At the end of a gruelling parents' evening - the second in the week - my final parent said, "You look tired. Never mind, think of all the overtime you'll be paid."

I did politely explain that teachers aren't paid overtime, and that before the next day I had two sets of books to mark when I (eventually) got home.

stonerose, drek and lizziescat like this.