1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School has many vacancies...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by austin_jen, Nov 13, 2019.

1. austin_jen

austin_jen New commenter

I understand the teaching population at international schools is rather transient. Some teachers stay on for another 2 years others leave right when their contract is up. I'm curious if a school listing over 15 vacancies is a sign of turmoil or just business as usual.

Thanks

2. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

Could be a whole host of reasons, expansion is one of the obvious ones,15 might not be that many for big schools. Plus these might not be even jobs, lots of schools put adverts out for jobs that might happen. Need to look deeper at the school and not just at how many jobs there are without any evidence of why that is.

austin_jen likes this.
  3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

15's not that unusual - that's roughly 1 or 2 per department in secondary, without a few vacancies in primary. Lots of things will be variable on this - where the school is, its structure and attainment, etc. It might be a perfectly good school which can't pay its staff as well as others locally, so can't hang on to them, or it might be one where people go for two years as a starter internationally then move on to bigger and better things.

austin_jen likes this.
  4. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Schools have to start recruiting early these days and its quite common to put out adverts as soon as staff intentions are known.There may be changes of mind of course along the way and some of the vacancies might not materialise but I don't think a long list of vacancies at this time of the year for the next academic one is a red flag.
    If its a long list in Setember for ïmmediate start then maybe cause for concern.

austin_jen likes this.
  5. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

My school has about on average 30 vacancies per year and we are Pre-k to HS with 2250 students.

austin_jen likes this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It is not unusual for some schools to replace 80-90% of their staff every year since the year dot.

Its always a good question to ask at an interview with regard to staff turnover.

ISR and social media are always a good source of information and if the ISR points to a school been s.h.i.t then it is s.h.i.t.e.

towncryer likes this.
  7. bhughesjob

bhughesjob New commenter

high turnover is normal. 90% is extremely high though as someone posted above

8. february31st

I could name schools that have replaced 100% of expat teachers last year and are currently on track to do the same this year.

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The best international schools have turnover around 10-15%, though even those best schools sometimes see higher rates just because that's how it happens.
    It doesn't mean much to be able to name schools with excessively high rates. One can name countries with extreme poverty, surgeons with horrible mortality rates... The existence of a bad end of the spectrum doesn't really say much about what's normal or desirable.

10. february31st

I would check to see if a new principal has been brought in to shake up the deadwood in the staffroom and employ modern educational programs into the school. Or if a large multi national investment fund has purchased the school.

If a school does have a large staff turnover you had better check the reason why. Some good schools do have an occasional blip in staff turnover but if its higher than 30% read the writing on the wall.