1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Governor

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Ley136, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Ley136

Ley136 New commenter

I was waiting to collect my older child from school today. My younger child, age 6, who I had collected from the same school earlier, was playing on the floor with his friend.
    Suddenly a woman ordered my child and his friend into the school office and began shouting and yelling at him. She that they shouldn’t have been playing on the ground that way.
    My son was terrified and doesn’t want to return to school tomorrow.
    It turns out she was a school governor. She never told me or my son’s friends mum that she was taking our children away and said nothing to us.
    Is a governor allowed to remove a child from his parents like that and can they shout and ball at a child.
    If she had spoken to me I would have dealt with the situation but I never got a chance.

2. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

I'm afraid i don't know whether or not a school governor is allowed to do this but i just wanted to say that if that had been my son i would not be happy about the situation. What was your son and his friend doing? Unless they were acting in a dangerous way or getting under peoples feet and you were not doing anything about it then it should not be anyone else's business. I would certainly be asking for a meeting with the school to discuss this.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Not appropriate. Also not exactly the head's fault (they're probably going to be extremely embarrassed that the governor has done this), but they need to know so they can have a word with the governor to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Once the children have been handed over to you at the end of the day, no way should they have been taken anywhere without your knowledge - you could have been panicking about where they were.
    Fair enough to say something like "boys, would you mind moving over to the side so that nobody trips over you", making sure that they're not moving far enough that you won't easily see them, or that you're aware if it's a bit further. But not shouting and yelling.

4. EBC

EBC New commenter

Agree. Have a word with the head. Even if they were being naughty or dangerous even, no way would I as a teacher march them over to the Head. Even if they were fighting, I'd ask to see who their grownups were. Ridiculous behaviour from that woman!

5. Ley136

Ley136 New commenter

Thanks. They were lying on the ground away from everyone rolling around, not fighting and in no one’s way. I did have a word with the head who was very apologetic and will have a word with the governor. Fortunately the CCTV recorded it all so it was very clear cut what had happened.
    It is an excellent school and the teachers never shout at the children, so it was quite alarming to see a governor act that way.

6. EBC

EBC New commenter

Good. Sounds unusual.