1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School gave me a laptop - which I have to replace if it gets lost/stolen?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lotrrulzu, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Hello,

I am an unqualified teacher starting at a school in September.

The school have given me a laptop to use in the classrooms for the electronic whiteboard, register and my personal work. There aren't PCs in the classrooms.

I have signed a contract which says that the school doesn't insure the laptops and

"that the school has the right to recover, in full and directly from my salary, the replacement costs (£608 inclusive of extended warranty) or any other costs associated with the loss or damage for whatever reason."

Can I insure the laptop myself, even though I don't own it?

2. Hello,

I am an unqualified teacher starting at a school in September.

The school have given me a laptop to use in the classrooms for the electronic whiteboard, register and my personal work. There aren't PCs in the classrooms.

I have signed a contract which says that the school doesn't insure the laptops and

"that the school has the right to recover, in full and directly from my salary, the replacement costs (£608 inclusive of extended warranty) or any other costs associated with the loss or damage for whatever reason."

Can I insure the laptop myself, even though I don't own it?

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

Not sure, but I'd get in touch with my union if I were you.

4. Thanks. Just in the process of joining a union. I don't think this is right but I don't want to rock the boat at school.

5. coppull

coppull New commenter

Is this a private school. ? Not come across this in any of our High Schools in the Local Authority.
    Could you not use your own laptop and have the school progrmmes loaded on to the machine ?
    You certainly need to join a Union.Plenty of offers from the three main unions allowing free membership until 2013.

6. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Do you have home insurance? If so it is most likely covered under this as a single valuable item. You may have to notify the company that you have it though.

7. It's not a private school but is a comprehensive changing to an academy. None of the other teachers have objected but there was a case last year when a teacher had to pay for a laptop as it was taken during an 'incident.'

8. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

My school did this once, and I was able to get cover for a fairly low cost, although it didn't apply if I left it unattended. The school changed their minds later. Renewing my home insurance, I just noticed that it was still on there, even though the laptop died 2 terms ago, fortunately while being updated by the ICT people.

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

If I were you I would refuse to sign any such decalration and inform the school that since you have no computer, you will not be using the IWB. They can not force you into this. If the school is not prepared to insure the equipment when on school premises you don't have to. If you lose a school machine when at home however, that is a different matter.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'd ask for paper registers. We shouldn't be personally responsible for school equipment on school premises. Pupils who are willing to throw a chair will have no compunction about throwing a laptop. Are you also having to sign for other equipment and furniture in your room?
    My insurance policy with Teachers' Assurance covers me for MY equipment on school premises. I doubt if you can insure someone else's property on your home contents policy.

11. I think it's utterly ridiculous that a school doesn't insure it's equipment. Do they not have any insurance at all? It's their job to provide you with equipment that you need to do your job, which is exactly why you've been given it. Personally, if I were you, I would be careful about rocking the boat as this sounds like a new job, even though the predicament they have put you in is unreasonable in my opinion. Can you not take the route where you tell them that you are uncomfortable having it as you simply cannot afford to replace it if that were necessary?

12. I had to replace my laptop (a very expensive MAC) after my little boy spilt a bit of water on it. Although I accept it happened at home, it's frustrating as the technicians at the school told me lots of other similar incidents have happened with staff but they just lied and said it had just 'stopped working'. I guess honesty isn't always the best policy.