1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School funding claims face investigation

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nomad, Oct 4, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The UK Statistics Authority, the official watchdog for preventing the misleading use of statistics, is launching an investigation into the Department for Education's claims over school spending.

It follows reports from BBC News showing that figures quoted by education ministers defending their record on state school spending also included the money spent by university students on tuition fees and parents on private school fees.

This has been confirmed by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) think tank that compiles the international comparisons of spending figures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45746062

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The government statements in question are lies.

It's that simple

They are lies.

3. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

I'd always thought that the figure included third level education, but not the money spent by the students.

I wonder what the total figure for English Secondary schools will come out as being.

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

And we are supposed to be surprised? I'm sure you know the old saying (joke implies it's not true):

How can you tell when a politician is lying? Their lips are moving.

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

In my opinion, the current Government are the most openly dishonest and corrupt administration in modern British history.
    You expect this sort of thing in Banana Republics, but not in the once "Great" Britain.
    Great now means great big tax dodgers and liars.

6. BG54

BG54 New commenter

There was plenty of corruption going on in "Great" Britain back in the day, the so-called "banana republics" were just more open about it. i wonder how many planning officers have had their palms greased by developers to get controversial plans pushed through the council? The idea that we were ever "squeaky clean" under any administration is naive at best.

phlogiston and forthejoyofit like this.
  7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Funny you should ask that. A few houses have just been built at the end of my road. Although parking around here is chronic, the developer was allowed to provide small gardens instead of parking spaces. And at least one long-standing councilor can be seen most lunch times in a local hostelry.

8. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

If you had the facts and figures that the GB politicians had, you’d lie too. There is no alternative, other than an implosion......

There are now poverty tours of the UK. For 2 pounds a bag, you can throw food rations to the needy, from your ‘tinted window, bullet proof tour bus’.

It is becoming especially popular in Birmingham. Very sad.

9. install

install Star commenter

Let's have full and open pay details for all jobs and perks of Ofsted ; CEOs; Head Teachers and Exec hrs too.:cool: