1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School French trips - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'School trips' started by gogojonny, Jan 22, 2012.

1. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Looking at a KS2 French trip (Y5/6)
    Most of the centres I have looked at don't seem that good - I want the pupils to stay at a proper French centre, with trips out to local shops to buy the food etc. I don't particularly fancy PGL or Kingswood, although acknowledge that cost wise they could offer good deals.
    Also I don't want to go down the adventure route - they can go climbing in the UK, I am after some uniquely French!
    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. v12

v12

I do the Ardèche every year with my school.
    None of the natives speaks English and there are loads and loads of outings (like the colosseum at Nîmes, or the crocodile farm at St Marcel or even the many Grottes to visit).
    And the weather is awesome!

3. Hi there,
    Try Schools Into Europe, they have a lot of links within France and offer good ideas so your trip can be tailor made.

Best of luck!

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Thanks - I would love the Ardeche, although not sure they would take Year 5/6.

5. Gosh something uniquely French where they speak precious little English. Now that would be novel. My son went to Calais in Year 8 for a day trip. That was the total sum of the language trips for the year and the whole of KS3. They went to a shopping mall where the only food they could buy was junk food and where if they tried to use their French they were responded to in English. Not a trip worthy of a Language College, me thinks! and they wonder why I queried it.....

6. Hi

I've been looking at Chateau de la baudonniere for a similar reason - I've found in the past that these centres are often run by inexperienced, non-French speaking staff but this looks excellent. I ran a trip to Chateau Beaumont a few years ago too - which I would recommend as a language trip.

7. Hi there!
    i wonder if you can help. I'm currently putting together a French trip to Morocco....
    Morocco is a wonderful destination for students; offering fascinating, diverse culture and beautiful landscapes. As French is Morocco's unofficial second language; it is taught universally and is widely used throughout the country. I think that this brilliant combination makes Morocco an original, exciting and educational destination for French students.
    We plan to visit The Bougmez Valley to experience total immersion into village life where french is the only means of communicating...
    What do you think? Would you consider booking something like this instead of the usual trip to France?

8. Ireton

Ireton New commenter

Hi, we take our Year 5s to Chateau du Broutel. It's in the Somme region so althogh it's vry French it is onlay about 90 mins from Calais. You can do the adventue stuff there, history based or languagebased with visits to local French towns and markets etc. The site is safe with the town of Rue a safe walk away or St valery Sur Somme close by. We do Agincourt, Amiens St Valery sur Somme and a couple of other sites such as Montruel sur Mare with its amaing market, but do chat with them. Cost wise it's pretty good up to mid May when it becomes a tad expensive, butyou also get a free recce trip once booked.
    Good luck

9. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

It's difficult enough trying to persuade a school to go to France that has never taken its kids to a residential centre which isn't 30 mins from the school, let alone Morocco. but thanks for the suggestion!

10. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Thanks, I had come across this. Problem is all the team building activities - just after a basic French centre! Don't want to pay for things we don't use, and don't want to really share with other schools.

11. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

It IS excellent! The staff are dedicated and don't speak a word of English. I don't mean that they CAN'T speak English - they're perfectly capable -they just don't! OK, so they are activity based and fairly remote, but all the activities are carried out entirely in French. Meals are French food, and the children have to ask for more in French. The food is introduced in French. They do one excursion - guided - in the average week. In French. They provide a journal for the children to fill in on a daily basis. In French. I could go on! However, you won't be the only school there. This year when we were there, there were several other schools, ranging from y5-y8/9. It was not a problem at all.
    If you just want the children to look at France, rather than focussing on the language, maybe try NST's Chateau d'Ebblinghem. You still wouldn't be the only school there, but you don't end up mixing with the other schools. They accompany you on your excursions each day, and help you plan an itinerary. Not a lot of French needs to be spoken, just gift shops/supermarkets, etc. But they look after you well. It's about 40 mins the other side of the tunnel.
    Right, where's my commission?!!!

12. Well, what I can suggest you here is a proper and well-managed school trip to France. Yes, I totally agree with you that big brands like PGL & Kingswood are not affordable for everyone. I know someone who had sent his child via Voyager School Travel and had a great experience out there! Check them out at http://www.voyagerschooltravel.com/

13. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

Voyager are the British company that arrange trips to the Chateau de la Baudonniere! Excellent!