1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School fleeces for staff

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by rainbowdrop86, Aug 29, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Have posted this in primary with mixed replies and would just like to judge the reactions of HT before approaching the subject at school. Im going into my 2nd year of teaching, and on placements, saw many schools where staff had a school fleece. I love this idea, and think they're ideal for outdoor PE, break duties, school trips, and generally to put on in the classroom when the weather turns cold!!! Id like to suggest it at school, but am afraid the slightly older generation of teachers at my school wont be so up for it. Id just like your opinions please. Do you have them? Do you insist your staff where them, are they optional, are they funded etc etc?
    Many thanks in advance

2. We have school fleece, they have our school symbol on them so when we are in the playground, on school trips people and children know who we are . We are gently asked to get them for unity but Teachers and teaching assitants do get them but we have to buy for our own fleece out of our own money.

3. We have fleeces, polo shirts and tracksuit tops! All optional, but the uptake is very high. Why spoil your own coat on yard duty? Must admit that the corporate identity is important to me. The school pays for them all.

4. Our supplier offers them, and interestingly, the main take up was from our "more mature ladies" the younger staff and older males did not go for it. I cannot justify buying a fleece for all staff, as for that money I could have an artist in school for two weeks, buy lots of playtime resouces, release staff for courses etc............... If you supply your uniform It should be cheap for staff via your supplier, however, if your school uses a local retailer to sell them (like my daughter's school, where everything costs £££££££££'s more, £12 for a jumper and £4 for a stupid tie, what sort of *** has ties for reception (button up shirts too)?????) then it will be priced up!
    I think you should suggest it to the head. I always think that groups of adults in polo shirts and fleeces look like a Burger King/Macdonalds outing!!!!!!!

5. What about style and taste to say nothing about individuality? How does it look to all wear a baggy polyester mix hoody with a logo on in a bright colour as a group of adults? Hmm? Inmates. Yes, I've said it.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed. I urge all primary colleagues to resist this notion with all their hearts and souls. I can't think of anything worse.

7. I have seen worse, a special "one off" set of bright red knes length cardigans with large sunflower motif, inscribed "learning and growing together" worn by all staff (female) at an infant school I did some work in years ago. I was informed by a member of staff that the reason for this interesting choice of garment was due to the size of the head's "butt", a sweat shirt, would by all accounts, have made it stand out a little more than she wanted!

8. As I am a little on the large size, I find the supplier doesn't make them big enough. Another reason for avoiding dieting!

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I can't think of a better way to get people - especially parents - to despise you.
    I can't think why so many people don't regard teachers as professionals...

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What?
    WHAT?
    [​IMG]
    I can't bear to think of it.
    But here you have the Department of Education National School Uniform for teachers, so some countries think it's a good idea!
    http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/4054794/2011+DepED+National+Teachers+Uniform+for+SALE+here?referralKeywords=teachers+uniform
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

11. Mmmmmmmmm, not too sure that the "slim fit" tailored look would suit my "more manly" figure! Not that keen on the blouse colour either!