1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School fleeces for staff

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Aug 11, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Im going into my second year of teaching, and am considering suggesting school fleeces for staff. I saw it a number of times when on placement, and think its a really good idea for outdoor PE, break duties, school trips etc. Im just wondering other people's opinions before i approach the subject at school. Do you have one? Would you object? How does your school work it? DO you buy it or is it provided? Do all have to have one? etc
    Thanks in advance

2. rainbowdrop86

Im going into my second year of teaching, and am considering suggesting school fleeces for staff. I saw it a number of times when on placement, and think its a really good idea for outdoor PE, break duties, school trips etc. Im just wondering other people's opinions before i approach the subject at school. Do you have one? Would you object? How does your school work it? DO you buy it or is it provided? Do all have to have one? etc
    Thanks in advance

3. We all have one. The school bought them. Most of us keep them at school for those times when it is unexpectedly chilly! We all wear them when we want to. Think it is a great idea. We all have a polo shirt too for trips etc.

4. I think you probably need to speak to the people at your school to find out their views. I would not mind too much as long as I could get XXL [​IMG] but would not be willing to pay for one.

5. rainbowdrop86

of course ill ask people at school, i just wanted to get a general feeling on here!
    thanks for your replies so far

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I have one (bought by school when I was in the FS and outside all day) and one bought myself but most staff don't have a school fleece out of choice.

7. comenius

comenius New commenter

Most of our staff have them, we have to buy them ourselves.

8. Why on earth would you buy a school fleece? Haven't you got a coat? [​IMG]

9. Most staff have one in my school, brought by ourselves. The classrooms can change temperature a the drop of a hat so having a thick fleece I can put on whenever over my jumper etc is great.

10. I've had them in 2 schools, and polo tops for PE. Both schools paid for the fleeces and polo tops.
    I liked it.

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

we have polo shirts to wear every day. So easy, not having to think what to wear. We have fleeces too but we have to pay for all this ourselves. I don't mind because I wear them all the time. Even at weekends!

12. At my first school we were given fleeces. Staff refused to wear them so it was a complete waste of money!

13. NettyMc

NettyMc New commenter

We (all staff) have a sweatshirt or hooded top and one polo shirt bought for us by the school - if we want any more then we pay for them ourselves. People are happy with this arrangement. The sweatshirts/hooded tops are uniform colour (maroon - urgh!) but we get to choose the colour of our polo shirts, so we are often a bright and cheerful, multi coloured attired staff.

14. zannar

zannar New commenter

I am an adult. Therefore I provide myself with warm, waterproof clothing as and when it is required.
    I do not want to look like an older version (a very much older version) of the children in the school.
    I will look ridiculous in the same clothing as a member of staff 30 years younger than me.
    I dress in a way, I feel, that shows I am the person in charge of the class without being overly formal and intimidating.
    I have other issues with this, perhaps it is my age[​IMG], but this for me is a definite no.
    (I have worn a uniform in a previous career and I felt pride in doing so.)

15. Do you all work in schools or do some of you work in playgroups?
    Neither myself or the rest of my teaching staff would be seen dead in school issue polo shirts/hooded tops/fleeces. We have a 'smart' dress code which reflects our professional status. Muliti-coloured polo shirts and hooded tops are fine for CBeebies TV presenters but I don't know any Heads who provide this type of attire for their staff .

16. zannar

zannar New commenter

Totally agree.

17. NettyMc

NettyMc New commenter

We also have a smart dress code, but I do not think it is unreasonable to wear these when teaching PE.

18. zannar

zannar New commenter

I have my own PE kit which is smart, clean and appropriate for me.

19. I have to say i would not wear a school polo, fleece or anything else. It's bad enough that so many of the children wear the fleeces - after the first few weeks they look anything but smart imho.
    I really think that many primary teachers do themselves a grave misservice by not dressing in a professional manner.Is it any wonder that we are not treated with the same respect as other professions if we wear this kind of attire?
    A very definite no from me.

20. I love the idea of a fleece for staff to wear - I have seen it in several schools and don't think it made them look scruffy providing it was still teamed with smart-ish trousers and shoes.

Polo shirts for school trips would be a great idea too, particularly when there are other schools on site!

:)