1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School flea problem???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Apr 18, 2012.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Before Easter, I noticed some bties on my legs and thought nothing of it - I have cats and I assumed they had fleas so I treated them and all my carpets etc. My husband didn't have any bites, however. I was fine all through the holidays, but now I'm back at work, I've got bites again. Some members of staff in another department in the same area of school have noticed bite marks too. They've been to the site manager who apparently called the area person responsible for these sorts of things who put down 'sticky strips' and found they attrached no flies, fleas or other bitey creatures. He said he was unwilling to pay the money to get this investigated further unless he had further evidence.
    Anyone come across a situation like this before? What was done?
    Cheers x

2. fantastischfish

Before Easter, I noticed some bties on my legs and thought nothing of it - I have cats and I assumed they had fleas so I treated them and all my carpets etc. My husband didn't have any bites, however. I was fine all through the holidays, but now I'm back at work, I've got bites again. Some members of staff in another department in the same area of school have noticed bite marks too. They've been to the site manager who apparently called the area person responsible for these sorts of things who put down 'sticky strips' and found they attrached no flies, fleas or other bitey creatures. He said he was unwilling to pay the money to get this investigated further unless he had further evidence.
    Anyone come across a situation like this before? What was done?
    Cheers x

3. Yes, about 8 years ago!
    We continued to complain every time one of us was bitten. Every single incident was reported by phone and email. We all bought topical cream and put the bill in.
    It took a while but they did eventually treat the room. It was ridiculously drawn out!

4. I did a stint working in the HQ of a large energy supplier... and one floor was known for having a recurrent flea problem - they'd wait till the bites started to appear > do a million risk assessments > treat it > wait for the bites and it went on and on and on and on... with paperwork in triplicate and memos about memos about memos for it.

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I could understand getting headlice, catching a cold or contracting measles in school but flea bites? UGH! How did they get fleas?

6. fantastischfish

The school is in a semi-rural area with lots of farm lands etc nearby - when the weather is hot there are flies all over the place constantly. My guess would be that the litter left around/bits of food etc attracts rats, and the rats bring the fleas. My best guess, but who knows?

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I used to work for a well known high street retailer. We used to have the carpets flea treated regularly!