1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Facebook Policy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clawthorpegirl, Jun 12, 2011.

1. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Hi
    We have a 'social networking' policy - in a nutshell
    - must have privacy settings at the highest
    - must not post any photos from school (obviously!) OR any pics of staff on an offical night out
    - must not discuss school / job in anyway, no anecdotes, moans, grumbles etc
    - must not accept pupils as friends
    Think that covers it. Haven't got an electric copy to send I'm afraid.

2. Similar to above with the 'no pupils as friends' but also no parents or former pupils (although this is harder in practice for staff who live in the area and may have friends or relatives who fall into those categories).
    Think ours is more advisory (rather than stand alone 'facebook policy') as it was felt that the code of conduct covered things by saying staff must not behave in a way that brings the school into disrepute within the local community.
    Some LEAs have official policies or guidelines so might be worth looking into before doing your own.

3. Parents could also be staff members though - there are staff at my school who have pupils there. I'd find it hard if I could never say anything about school on FB either - admittedly I have nothing but positive things to say about my school.

4. Who needs the GTCE when schools are playing Big Brother for us?

5. I feel just saying about not undermining school publicly is probably enough, specifying not mentioning school or job in any way seems particularly heavyhanded to me. It is natural for people to say they are feeling tired after a week at work, or looking forward to the holiday. To clamp down on everyday comments like that seems harsh and like a police state.

6. It's a grey area as I'm a teacher and a parent and one of my FB friends is a parent of a child in my class... but also a fellow teacher who used to work at my school. I've known her longer as a teacher than I have a parent. It's such a grey area; I think any policy needs to be quite vague as there are definitely exceptions to every rule.

7. Why on earth would it be hard if you could never say anything about school on Facebook? It seems quite simple - talk about something else. You are paid to do a job - do it. If you don't like it, get another job. While you are working for a school, don't mention it on Facebook. What did you do before social networking sites were available? Take out adverts in the media to bring to public attention your views about school? Maybe put up posters periodically so that others could benefit from you opinions about your workplace? It is absolutely absurd to suggest that it is hard not to talk about school on Facebook. I assume that you are a teacher - a relatively well paid professional. Start behaving like one.

8. Google it - there are loads of examples on the Internet (I'm currently in the process of writing one for my school)

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I use FB for, among other things, keeping in touch with ex-colleagues who are friends. It is nice to have the odd chat about school as well as personal stuff. Not mentioning school at all would be daft. Obviously none of us have a whinge about named people, nor any situations that could identify our schools to the casual observer. But it is nice to be able to say things like "Yeay am in year 5 again next year" or "Have you finished your reports yet?" or "What have you got for your VCOP theme this term?" and so on. I honestly don't think this make me less professional.

I totally agree that any policy is unnecessary as behaviour is covered by the 'not doing anything to bring the school in to disrepute' clause of contracts.

10. I completely agree with you. Having to specify a list of what not to say shows a particular lack of trust from the school for teachers as professionals.

11. Thank you, tha ts more or less everything we've discussed and the head is now putting together a document.
    Thanks x

12. That is an issue as we have Teaching assistants who are also parents and teacher who are friends with parents etc.

13. I am a teacher and am guessing your not! Unfortunatlely we need paper work for everything in school these days and feel like every idea/chat/activities/cough needs a plan or policy! We have had issues with pupils etc. and this has led on to a discussion about facebook involving teachers. Some staff don't even have accounts and more often that not don't have time to be on facebook but there is no harm being prepared with a policy and setting out guidelines!

14. jojoincharge

jojoincharge New commenter

absolutely.

15. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I had a parent add me 2 days ago. We have no friends in common and she must have searched me out to find me. There is absolutely no way I will add her, but am not looking forward to the possibility that she could mention it in conversation and ask why I haven't added her! I'm just going to say it's school policy, even though it's not!