1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Experience

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Possible_Teacher, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm hoping to apply in the Autumn to do the lower Primary at Brighton University starting in 2012. I have secured myself an afternoon a week going into to school which will be the equivalent of around 8 days, I am also hoping to get a week long placement in a different city to get a feel of schools with different issues. I've checked on their website and it says you need: "Experience of working in schools: prior to application (at least 50 per cent of the required) minimum of four weeks recent experience (ideally more) in a primary classroom (Key Stage 1 or Key Stage 2)."
    What does this mean? Is two weeks worth acceptable to does it have to be 4 weeks? I have also done 2 weeks around 9 years ago and an afternoon a week for a term around 6 years ago but I'm guessing these aren't recent! It's just so difficult to arrange placements and the like around full time work! I volunteer for a charity for children with special needs too so hopefully this will count in my favour!

So my question really is how much experience do you need? I wondered if successful applicants could post and give some idea of how much they did.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hi,

I'm hoping to apply in the Autumn to do the lower Primary at Brighton University starting in 2012. I have secured myself an afternoon a week going into to school which will be the equivalent of around 8 days, I am also hoping to get a week long placement in a different city to get a feel of schools with different issues. I've checked on their website and it says you need: "Experience of working in schools: prior to application (at least 50 per cent of the required) minimum of four weeks recent experience (ideally more) in a primary classroom (Key Stage 1 or Key Stage 2)."
    What does this mean? Is two weeks worth acceptable to does it have to be 4 weeks? I have also done 2 weeks around 9 years ago and an afternoon a week for a term around 6 years ago but I'm guessing these aren't recent! It's just so difficult to arrange placements and the like around full time work! I volunteer for a charity for children with special needs too so hopefully this will count in my favour!

So my question really is how much experience do you need? I wondered if successful applicants could post and give some idea of how much they did.

Thanks in advance!

3. If I was in your position, I would contact the University concerned and ask them to clarify. Universities have different criterias of how much work experience you need prior the application/interview/course. I'm guessing from what you have written it is 2 weeks need to be done before you send off your application. And then another additional 2 weeks can be done whenever but before the course (?) If it states recent work experience then it usually means within the last 1-2 years. I think that additional voluntary work in the children charity would look good but wouldn't count towards your school experience requirement. Good luck and I hope this actually makes some sense. But you should double check with the University.