1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Experience Required ASAP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Maciee, May 5, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum, but here goes:
    I was recently accepted a Primary place with a university to start in September on the condition that I get 5 days school experience.
    I am more than willing to complete this, however, I have not yet been able to find a school to do this.
    I am based in London, and would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on this?
    Thank you,
    M

2. Hi All,
    I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum, but here goes:
    I was recently accepted a Primary place with a university to start in September on the condition that I get 5 days school experience.
    I am more than willing to complete this, however, I have not yet been able to find a school to do this.
    I am based in London, and would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on this?
    Thank you,
    M

3. What have you done so far to try to find a school to take you?

4. Ring/write to every school in your local area and you shouldn't struggle - most places would gratefully have the help, I know I would!

5. Hi noeyedeer,
    I have called around my local schools (including Saturday schools) and I am currently trying to get my CRB sorted so that this will not be a further barrier.
    I also have friends that are working in schools asking on my behalf, but this does not seem to be getting me anywhere. I am trying this forum as I am getting worried that I won't get the experience!
    Is there anything else that you could suggest I do?

6. Are you based in London at all?

7. Im not im afraid, im in the midlands.
    Have you rang and asked to speak directly to headteachers?

8. Write or email them all and give some details like when you would be available (be flexible, give lots of options), why you need the experience and what the school need to do for you (if it's nothing other than have you there then say so). Say that you would be willing to help out in any way needed during the week, in any class as well as observing.
    Ringing often doesn't get you through to the right person and even if it does the time you're calling may not be convenient and the conversation easily forgotten. An email or a letter is far more likely to be considered and replied to as you can sort these out when time really allows. Which ever form you choose make sure that it is polite, professional and to the point.
    Good luck

9. Thank you both for your responses. I think the main problem I have is getting through to dismissive secretaries. Fingers crossed I get something very soon!

[​IMG]

10. I emailed 5 schools when I needed my 5 days experience offering help and every single one emailed me back saying they'd love help. What approach are you taking? Are you calling or emailing? If you're calling, what time of day are you doing this? What is it you're actually saying to them?

11. Hi,
    Just a quick update!
    I managed to get my schools experience. I found that its best to email the organ grinder, rather than speak to the monkey!!
    Thanks for all the advice!
    [​IMG]