1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Experience – DBS Checks

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by rufusw25, Oct 18, 2016.

1. rufusw25

rufusw25 New commenter

Hi all,

First post, so hopefully am doing this right. Am looking to gain school experience this year for application in 2018 and I was just wondering if anyone knows how long a DBS check should take to be processed once a school applies for it? I'm asking because I've seen a school near me offering a Schools Experience Programme placement on a day I could get off work, but it's in just over two weeks, which I imagine is too short to get the checks done. I've Googled and I've got responses from anything from 2 to 4 or even 8 weeks.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I did one recently (in June) and it took about a week. It depends how busy there are, so we can't really say.

pepper5 and rufusw25 like this.
  3. rufusw25

rufusw25 New commenter

Thanks very much blueskydreaming – makes sense that it depends on their backlog.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. sabram86

sabram86 New commenter

I had one done very recently and it came back in a week. It does vary - if you can get it done online, that might quicken it up slightly.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Depending on the school you might not need a DBS check for a one day experience.... The rules say that you must have a DBS if you are going to be alone with the children. If you are supervised/with other adults then you might not need one. Check with the school and see what they say :)

6. 1mm1grate

1mm1grate New commenter

I think it is ridiculous to have to pay for a DBS for voluntary work experience. There should be some funding for this

7. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I thought voluntary ones were free though you need to check that you meet the criterion. It is possible that since this is an actual programme it will not.

8. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Which budget should that come from?

blueskydreaming likes this.
  9. rolls

rolls New commenter

As a student you also have to pay for your own DBS. As said earlier they take anything from one or to eight weeks to come back depending upon how busy they are, now should be a fairly quiet time. A voluntary DBS also costs but at a lower rate. However, these will only cover you to volunteer in a specific institution and are not suitable for teacher training.
    If you are planning on training to teach you will need a full DBS. You may acquire this through a college or university you are training with or a school you are volunteering in but it is a good idea to pay the extra money within two weeks of receiving it to enable you to join the update service. This allows you to use it to get paid or voluntary work in more than one setting and should be accepted by any institution you intend to train with.
    It may seem a lot of money but it is a good investment if you are serious about getting into teaching or working with children generally.