1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

school experience and crb checks

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by readnats, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I would like to apply for a pgce to teach art and design within secondary schools and need to try and gain some experience. I plan to write to the schools in my area to ask to observe some classes but I am a little confused about the whole crb check process. Do I need to have a crb check in place before I approach a school? Any advice would be very gratefully received, Thanks.

2. I would like to apply for a pgce to teach art and design within secondary schools and need to try and gain some experience. I plan to write to the schools in my area to ask to observe some classes but I am a little confused about the whole crb check process. Do I need to have a crb check in place before I approach a school? Any advice would be very gratefully received, Thanks.

3. You won't need a CRB check done for observation as you will not have unsupervised access to the children. However, some schools will ask you to get it done anyway and you will have to pay for it if that is the case.
    You should contact the school in the first instance to ask if they can take you and they will then tell you whether they require you to have a CRB check done before they will take you.
    Hopefully you're not in Scotland where the situation could be more complicated as they are switching from Disclosure to the PVG scheme. Although the PVG scheme will be better long term, school staff haven't been switched over to it yet and as such don't always know it exists. As Disclosure is no longer available, it's pretty hard to get when it is longer available. Furthermore, as you don't have unsupervised access to the children, you're not eligible to join the PVG scheme either. It's a bit of a mess for the next few months!

4. Luckily I am in England as that seems more straightforward. Thank you so much for your reply, I have been worrying about this for a few weeks and have not been able to find out the answer. You are officially AMAZING! :)

5. If you find a way of getting one for yourself could you let me know please?[​IMG]
    I wanted to go to my old school for a few weeks experience in the new year but they have a new policy that you must have a CRB report. I thought it would be simple enough to get one myself but you need the name and number of the organisation who have requested you to have one. (They have to be legally allowed to request to see it). The school said it would be my uni but I'm not on a course for training yet! The maths dept. are trying to get round it for me but the deputy head is really strict on policies. I could probably arrange experience at another school but would love to go to this one as everyone in the dept is so helpful (I managed to get a day visit out of them last term which is all they allow without CRB!)
    Thank you

6. Are you at Uni? does your uni do the student associate scheme? (i think it still runs! they organise a 3 week placement for you! :)

7. Thats promising then, hopefully I will find a kind school who will help me out. Thanks for your help caroline x.

8. Hi there, I also did the same and I am gaining voluntary experience in local schools. I wrote to schools and organised a visit to meet the team and discuss start dates etc. They were happy to wait for the crb, but I was still able to start straight away. I was given a crb form, although not all schools require them as you will never be left alone with the children. I filled it in and gave it straight back, and you dont have to pay if you are a volunteer, there is a box to tick to say this. I left it with the school and its taken nearly 3 months but its finally come through and it says I'm a volunteer. Hope this helps