1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School expects application forms to be filled in by hand....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by slingshotsally, Sep 29, 2017.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I know this is may sound a bit odd.

Having spotted a vacancy for a temp/maternity cover teacher, I downloaded their JD and Application form (which stated "fillable") on file name.

But it is impossible to fill in at all in the PDF format. I rang the school to inform them of this and the secretary stated "Its to be done by hand".

I'm bit surprised by this as EVERY application I have ever made in almost 2 decades of teaching has been word processed.

I just wondered- if anyone else has come across similar.

Many thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Commiserations

I have heard of Schools who require applications, or was it a letter?, to be filled in by hand. I remember several years ago a lament by a poster who bemoaned the number of applications required like this. :(

Certainly i was doing this 10 years ago.If you have all your information to hand ( ire one printed off and used as a blueprint, it used to take me about 45 minutes to complete the form.

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

The last one I did was on a hard copy given to me to fill in by hand. It was a first for me too, and I had to practise the supporting statement to see how much space it would take on the page.

slingshotsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

Hoop jumping. If they make you do it during the recruitment process theyll make you do it once you're working there as well.

5. captain scarlet

captain scarlet New commenter

You need an Adobe account, then you can fill and edit

6. sparkleghirl

I've been thinking about this.

Wouldn't it be nice to apply for such a job, be offered it and be able to say that you can't accept unless the offer letter is handwritten?

Or would you not even attend the interview without a hadnwritten letter?

sabrinakat, muso2 and slingshotsally like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

I'm bumbling around in supply (long-term) and one of the reasons I go through agencies for jobs is that I can't be bothered spending 2 hours (minimum) filling in the application form. The school seems to accept the agency fees because it's often me or nobody.

Presumably in some leafy suburb where the only noise in school hours is the pitch-perfect signing of Jerusalem the schools can afford to be more picky and the applicants put up with this.

8. slingshotsally

I looked into this... the last time I used adobe, you bought it on disc, popped it into your hard drive, then waited.... kept waiting .... and keyed in various things.

You bought it, paid for it and that was it!

Now? You need a monthly direct debit or pay an annual fee.

I might just pay for a month, then cancel the direct debit, to fill in this form and see what reaction it elicits.

Bit expensive, but it might be worth a punt.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  9. slingshotsally

I wish I lived in an area with more supply work- nothing so far.

Even with tutoring- there are at least 10 teachers listed on yell/ Google / fB / gumtree etc within a mile radius.

10. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Yep!! Same thing happening here with Teaching Assistant jobs!!! It's going to takes ages. Plus I dont see how handwritten forms speed up the process.

Surely the school printing off all the forms sent by email would be better for readability purposes.

Depends if i think it's worth it. Just another job to do on top of searching for work.

11. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I always found that there was never enough room on the form if it was hand written. You would then have to write with extremely small writing so taking even longer to fill in.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. sparkleghirl

They're not meant to speed uo the process. They're to test how much you want to work at the school. A sign that a school thinks you should be very grateful to work there and should therefore be avoided.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Or a school where they just don't like emails - probably small with only one or two office staff, and just haven't thought of using technology for it...that was the case with mine anyway. I didn't hold it against them, though I might have if I didn't get the job.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

This is obviously a very "traditional" and backward looking school. The application process may tell you everything you need to know about what working there would be like!
    That said if they want the application hand written on parchment then that's what they are looking for...

diamondjane and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. pickles124

Excuse me? Would you like to explain how sitting on a computer for 5 hours filling in an electronic application isn't a sign of ongoing determination!!!!!

sparkleghirl likes this.
  16. pickles124

I really really wouldn't sit here presuming that you seem to know people thank you very much. I work my absolute backside off on these application forms!! So do other people. I don't see how it will help for readabity purposes.

No other job or profession makes people fill in forms by hand!!! Nursing, legal jobs, hr jobs do not make people fill in forms by hand.

And i know because I have contacts with plenty of people in these professions.

17. pickles124

Oh and let me get this straight. It would show more dedication.

Seriously.....

18. pickles124

Some of the comments im reading on here- wow. Just wow.

19. captain scarlet

captain scarlet New commenter

Pay for it, NO! sign up for an adobe account, yes there is the option for all of the editing bits, but you dont need all, the bit you need is fill and sign see pic below
    upload_2017-10-2_21-40-24.png

20. pickles124

Can i enquire? Is Adobe acrobat not available anymore for a free download because it's a real pain trying to edit application forms that are in pdf. I'm having to scout around for a pdf viewer software and even then I have to keep installing/uninstalling because it's a free trial.

I can't seem to find a free one and im certainly not forking out 100 quid to edit a form.