1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School expectations during Pandemic

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by tamuz, Jun 24, 2020.

1. tamuz

tamuz New commenter

Is anybody here having issues with school expectations?

I have been working from home since lockdown due to being 'clinically vulnerable' (as opposed to being clinically extreemly vulnerable) and am just finishing Paternity leave.

I have just received an email from my Head claiming that government advice is now that Vulnerable staff can return to work as long as the school has been made safe, and to contact her with any concerns I may have. (like this not actually being the official government advice...)

Further, I have heard (unoficially) that he is concerned that staff on the whole have not been working effectively from home and so staff will be expected to return to do work from school premises rather than from home. (despite advice being that staff should only be in school when needed to directly supervise students).

We are expected to call home to every student in our tutor group each week (and keep trying until we make contact - with the student directly, not just the parents - recording each call in two seperate places, along with details)
    We are expected to Plan a full sylabus of lessons for next year, with each lesson needing to include items from a checklist and be presented on a specific template, as well as assessments for each topic.
    Along side this we are expected to provide distance learning (and some staff are putting in a day or two at key school as well)

I am seriously unsure how to respond to this as nobody else I have spoken to seems concerned (teachers seem on the whole to be a bunch of workaholics).

Has anybody else had similar experiences? Am I alone in thinking that this is unreasonable?

2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Didn't Bojo say people should STILL be working from home if possible? Fine, if you're lookig after kw children, you can't do this at home, but I don't see why you can't do paperwork at home. Most teachers do anyway, in my experience. Union. I'm not legally qualified to advise, but I'd expect they can put you right!

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Schools have a duty of care, and so if you are in a vulnerable group and they insist you come in - I can see fire raining from the heavens. Its a health and safety issue which you would be within your rights to take straight to the governors.

As for the other stuff - I take the view that all of our usual working practices apply. You should not be asked to ring every child in your form. You should not be getting asked to produce lesson plans etc.But we've gone - 'nurses on the front line are DYING, damnit - so the least I can do is ...is... this departmental improvement plan..." Its bad enough when people wheeled out the line 'if you cared about the children, you'd...' Now its 'we all have to pull together during the virus crisis. So - please work yourself into the ground marking these assessments that we won't be using in any way, shape or form.'

But I do have sympathy with your HT. Working from home is very hard. I don't know how they are measuring your productivity but I'd be very surprised if it was up to usual standards. Seriously. I've been able to get into school a couple of times since lockdown started and each time I've done WAY more work. It's not intentional, its just - happening.

4. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Probably not.

I am wondering if your HT is male or female or both. And about the errors in your post. And why you are asked to record calls twice.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think the advice is that a RA should outline how the risks have been minimised for vulnerable staff. If they are minimised to a manageable level, then staff can return. Contact her to get the risk assessment and make your own suggestions.
    I think this advice is from unions as opposed to the government. It is reasonably easy for a school to say that you need to be in school to do your job properly if they are concerned that work isn't being completed satisfactorily at home.
    Not sure about being a workaholic, but it doesn't seem unreasonable in terms of workload.
    The specific templates for lessons and checklists would massively annoy me, but other than what you've said is what most people are doing.

6. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

If you are on paternity leave, why are you working from home?

7. Newidentity

Newidentity New commenter

I'm in the clinically vulnerable group. I had a RA carried out, and am now going into school once a week in a role which minimises my contact with adults/students. I would prefer not to be in school at all, but I really have no choice. We are also phoning students at home, but given the pick up rate of < 10%, it's not that arduous a task.

agathamorse likes this.