1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School exclusions

Discussion in 'Education news' started by eljefeb90, Sep 1, 2018.

1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Headlining the Saturday edition of The Guardian, 'Dozens of secondary schools exclude at least 20% of pupils'.
    Obviously, the reasons behind this are many and varied.Any ideas? Why is behaviour getting so bad ?
    I personally feel that the exam factory syndrome is a major factor, along with squeezed resources. An inappropriate curriculum for many, with continual targets, has made school irrelevant and stressful.
    Dealing with poor behaviour is part of the job but these figures point to chaotic and unmanageable schools.

Alice K, JohnJCazorla and HelenREMfan like this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

3. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

No! The major factor is very poor parenting. Not bringing up kids with a good work ethic, a try, try and try again attitude, consideration for others, and a sense of duty, responsibility and honour.

Alice K and Mrsmumbles like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Behaviour is society's problem. For too long, the assumption has been that it is in the realm of schools. The bigger question might be: Are children made accountable for their poor behaviour in public by their parents or not ? :rolleyes:

Alice K likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Nice kid, away a lot, nobody can understand why. When he does make it in to lessons, he’s good, but cannot turn around the homework. Then away again. The SLT stress over results so exclude him. Don’t support him. I took him on afterbhe had a full nervous breakdown. See, he wasn’t skiving or being disrespectful to the Big Brother MAT Men. Jen had cyclothymic depression and his brain had, sensibly, shut down for a bit to reboot. Another lad I took in had bexme very angry and frustrated with his academy. Had originally been a top student. He probably was better off with one to one. The first student needed it desperately. Both did well, an A for the former and a pass in sitting one paper half only for the latter. Of course, the academies claimed the results for their league tables. I utterly despise them for hanging these kids out to dry and adding extra stress to already vulnerable young people. Kids don’t fare well in edubusinesses. There are all kinds of kids being excluded now, from genuine twerps with rubbish parents, to twerps with nice parents, to my two, who were utterly betrayed by a corrupt (and recently rebrokered) academy. It’s still schat.

JohnJCazorla, Brunel and HelenREMfan like this.
  6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I don’t think there’s a school that would exclude for not meeting homework deadlines! He’s spun you a line.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  7. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

You’d be surprised. Too many people (even in education) still see exclusions as causally connected to bad behaviour. Sometimes that’s the case but exclusions are some (not all by any means) academy chains’ way of telling certain types of students (and their parents) that “this school isn’t right for you. You’d be better moving on.”

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

9. Mrsmumbles

No, no, you misunderstand, he was very ill. GP note sent. It takes a while to work out what’s going on with teens’ mental health. So..absent. sleeping a lot. no appetite. Then..on the SSRIs. Some bad reactions. Then he was absent again...all genuine. The parents sent explanatory letter after letter to the HOYS, who made chocolate fireguards resemble asbestos fire blankets. They were obviously panicking about low attendance meaning a ‘line’ about illness being spun, when, they probably thought, he’d given up. Well...he HAD, but it’s wasnt his fault. The discrimation against the mentally ill in the UK, particularly students, is despicable. There’s no ‘blimey this kid is ill, how can we cram in what they need when they are functioning again’ centres, no proper training, minimal counselling, fare that you get an honest assembly on this issue. It’s tragic because depression often hits very bright kids. They know things aren’t right and must be terrified. The academy SLTs often assume the worst and stereotype, which is something you should never do with mental illness as everyone is different. Lucky for him, I had relevant experience: two of my relatives had gone through this at school and I managed him, counselled him, supported him 110%. Thing is, he should have got this from the academy. He didn’t. The parents even considered sueing but all three of them had been so traumatised by it all, they just wanted closure. That lad was so able, and was such a hero for soldering on when he must have felt like death for a good chunk of his two years at GCSE. The nicest thing was when he told me that his last four months of year eleven were the best. I took him on at the end of year eleven. There are some real psychopaths without a shred of expertise or empathy working in schools today. This is what families get when the bosses get inflicted join them and have limited experience with kids, just lots of ‘hobnobbing around the DFE water cooler’ experience instead. Terrific.

yodaami2 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

This has certainly been my experience. Two right lads, one really didn’t deserve the treatment he and his family received.

11. Mrsmumbles

I mostly agree, but no parent chooses depression or a bipolar episode on their previously happy and healthy child. If their child had a cancer or damaged limb, the academy would be forced to make reasonable adjustments. As things stand, little is done for mentally unwell kids. It’s stacked against them.

phlogiston likes this.
  12. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Yes, there is always a bigger picture. And again it is the fault of ofsted. It’s all about the results and there are no get out clauses for mh issues. And you are right, some HTs have more than a modicum of humanity and will take the hit, others do not.

eljefeb90 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  13. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I wish the world was perfect or even half-way decent, unfortunately that is not the case. I totally accept that there will be a spike in exclusions when trying to turn around a failing school. There have always been disaffected, lazy pupils. However, in the past, there was more support for classroom teachers with smaller classes and a more relevant curriculum . In the eighties, I could devise my own course and could teach it how I felt fit. Not so easy now.

Mrsmumbles likes this.