1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

School exchange questionnaire

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by nicktheteacher, Jan 24, 2019.

1. nicktheteacher

nicktheteacher New commenter

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out. I'm organising a school exchange and want to send a questionnaire home to start the matching process. I wondered if anyone would be willing to share a questionnaire that they already use.

I'm happy to make my own but I value the experience that people may have already had in fine tuning the questionnaire and will probably ask important questions that I will probably forget.

Thanks in advance

2. Jobalot

Jobalot New commenter

Mine is for 6th form, so might not suit your age group? However, here are some things that you might find useful:-
    Address (one home? Or several days with each parent?)
    Contact details - phone numbers of student and parent/carer
    How do they travel to school? (Will partner need to pay own bus fare, for example?)
    Will partner have their own bedroom?
    Are they able to host boy / girl / either?
    Are they able to host two? (Some years we have had unequal numbers taking part)
    Do they smoke? Does anyone in their family smoke?
    Do they object to their partner smoking? If no objection, then where? (In the house / outdoors only?)
    Medical information
    Any allergies? (Useful to know if they are sensitive to pet hair)
    Any pets?
    Anything else they want you to know? (They usually ask me what I mean with this question. For example, if they have a phobia of dogs, they might not want their partner to have 3 German Shepherds!)

Less useful (or so I've found) is the info about personality, hobbies, likes, dislikes. Similar interests don't necessarily guarantee instant mutual liking ( just think about the 'Married at First Sight' TV series!!) And it's already hard enough making sure that you've avoided matching a student with asthma to a family of chain-smokers, or someone with a severe allergy to pet hair to someone with five cats! They usually get on fairly well, sometimes very well, occasionally not so well.

3. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Are you also aware of the new (Sept 2018) requirement (not "must" but definitely "should") for a DBS check on everyone over 16 in the household? It's free of charge but can be a faff. Agree with hosting form suggestions above. Also wonder if able to take into account putting friend B of Spanish person A with English person B who is friends with English person A. If that makes any sense.