1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School drop off rule causing uproar with parents

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Sep 22, 2018.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

https://www.familiesonline.co.uk/lo...ool-drop-off-rule-causing-uproar-with-parents

"Instead of walking them to their classrooms, from Wednesday 19th September, the children are taken from their parents at the gate and walked into the premises by waiting teachers.

Many parents were unhappy with the new routine and talked with Nottinghamshire Live about the distress this was causing, them and their children."

I would think that any 'distress' that is being caused to the children is coming from the parents. All the children in my family walked to our primary school unaccompanied and none of us was distressed or traumatised by it. Although we might have been if our parents had made a great song and dance about us going into school.

Welcome to the snowflake generation.

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

good grief. what? no parents were ever on the playground before school anyway, when i was in primary, even if they did take you to school. goodbye at the gate.

nomad likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I cannot recall any day I was ever taken to school by my parents. Possibly day one at primary, but certainly never after that.

Whoever runs that website needs a spelling lesson too.

"after being recently told they are no longer allowed passed [sic] the school gates with their children in the mornings."

grumpydogwoman and Alice K like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm amazed any school, primary or other, would allow parents to take their children all the way to the classroom. Seems like this school has just caught up with most others!

bonxie and BelleDuJour like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In all my 30 teaching Early Years parents brought children into the classroom, this was phased out beforethe start of Year 1. On my second teaching practice parents left children at the gate - I can't say it distressed the children but it made it hard to speak to parents if there were any problems or even good news to share. The teacher used to wait until parents evening to talk to them.

6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

…..or goodbye at the front door. If your mother walked you to school, you were a sissy!! :eek:

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

Well, ours was on the main road into town, some parents had to walk past anyway! but yes, very few were ever seen. the kids who went home for lunch were seen as a bit sissy.

Alice K likes this.
  8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We just got dropped off at the gate...................as did my own children.
    Bunch of sissies!

Alice K and nomad like this.
  9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

At my school all the classrooms open out onto the playground and parents can walk up, but we have a soft start where from 8.30 the doors are open for them to come in and start getting on with an early morning activity, but school doesn't actually start till 8.50. There is a line outside each classroom which parents are not encouraged to cross and we're supposed to stand outside in this 'transition area' (which is outside but covered and where kids hang their coats and change into their indoor shoes).

At my daughter's school, they ring the bell at 8.50 and they line up to be collected. But parents are supposed to wait in the playground to monitor their children until the bell rings because there is no staff member on duty out there and the gates open on to a main road so theoretically kids could just wander out or anyone wander in. I can't see how else they'd do it unless they had an adult on duty in all 3 playgrounds. If a child is dropped off and gets injured, or if someone walked in and snatched a child (a non-custodial parent, for example), itd be on the schools head for not having someone supervising them on school grounds.

10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I've done a days supply work in a couple of primary schools where the parents come up to the classroom both in the morning and to collect them at the end of the day. Indeed, in one, it was the rule that no one left the classroom until they were collected by an adult. Interestingly in the primary just down the road which I also did some work in, the kids just left as normal with the parents waiting outside the grounds.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe the school could provide an app that tracks the child's movements between gate and classroom, given that most parents are on their phones around drop off time anyway.

Coming from a secondary background and now working with different primary schools I have to say I find the whole drop off/pick up ritual mind boggling in its complexity and variety.

grumpydogwoman and koopatroopa like this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My younger grandsons had to be taken to and collected from the classroom while they were in KS1. It's quite normal round here

13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I guess it depends on the area and the cohort. My school has a lot of children who cannot legally be picked up by certain people, so we have a duty of care to ensure that they're getting out safely. In year 5 and 6 they can opt to let their child walk home alone but that is something that has to be signed by someone with parental responsibility. All children have to send in a form saying who is allowed to collect them and we can't release them to anyone not on that list without prior arrangement and forms being signed. It's a safeguarding issue. But that's the nature of the area I teach in.

14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I used to have to go in and get my children from after school club, which was annoying, as if they didn't go to after school club they could leave on their own.

Mornings we got the same bus from home and they hopped off at the stop nearest their school, and I carried on

15. vannie

vannie Star commenter

In my old school we used to welcome parents into our classrooms every morning. They would help their children with their morning activities and it would give us time to chat and for them to pass on any information or ask questions. it worked well. When I moved to my new school I mentioned this at interview and the HT raised their eyebrows. Then I met (some) of the parents and saw why she was sceptical, If this has been brought in I would think it was something to do with incidents with parents in the playground. Sad but it happens.

16. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what about DBS checks, etc?

FrankWolley likes this.
  17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Don't know ... It was just a policy - they were never left alone!

18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You don't need a DBS check for parents or grandparents to come in and do 'morning work' or settling in with their own child.

I think people on here who dismiss the idea are thinking of the age range of the children they teach who are mostly older. In my school parents only came into the classroom up to Reception and were handed over to an adult either inside or outside at the end of the day. At my grandsons' school they were taken in in the morning until KS2. I doubt if there are any schools who release 4 year olds into the playground at the end of the day to find their own way home.

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I used to let parents come in at the start of term to get their kids settled - helping with suitcases, and giving them a chance to say goodbye. After all, most parents wouldn't see their offspring again for some weeks (not until the first exeat weekend, or even half-term in some cases).

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ours were brought to the playground door of the classroom if the parents wanted to wait they could. Up to Y4 they had to be met and handed over at the end of the day. I thought it was fine. Gave lots of ops for a quick word or just A bit of friendly chat.

InkyP likes this.