1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School dreams (nightmares!)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sam_Bow, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I really like my job, but always get the back to work 'fear' at the end of the hols.
    My reoccurirng school dream is that the class won't listen to me (common I know) and that I am aware that I am about to be observed. Then, the Head walks in just as I realise I haven't written my outcomes on the board (cardinal sin!) so I then ignore the rioting kids to write them on (in slow motion) whilst he tuts and clicks in the corner!
    Last night though, I handled the discipline problems in the way I normally would and when the Head walked in, I reminded the class that the outcomes weren't there because the objective of the lesson was to design them!
    Now, do we think:
    A) I need to get a life or
    B) Just celebrate my sub conscious triumphant moment?
    Sam _Bow :)

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That's so funny!!

3. Don't worry I have school nightmares towered the end of every holiday...although they are usually worse tirades the end if the Summer holiday. During one I attempted to teach ballroom dancing to my Year 1s for a PE observation by Ofsted!! Totally bizarre!! x

4. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

My emd of holidays dream always involves going back and finding out I've been swapped to a new year group and hadn't been told because I was unable to attend the most important staff meeting of the year.

No planning, no idea who is in the class and no idea what year group they are. I hate it. Have had it twice so far this holiday

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

One recurring dream that crops up for me from time to time is about how I spend the morning before an important exam that I've done absolutely no preparation for. It's probably based on reality - 'A' Level Economics circa 1977 ;-)

6. My back-to-school anxiety dreams always have a similar theme - I either 'forget' to go to teach my classes or I'm out of school, sometimes with some pupils, and trying to get back on time to teach my classes (Secondary). Then I wait in dread for the call from the office to ask where I was. I like my job and am successful at it but I have always had this dream towards end of school holidays...weird!

7. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I'm so glad I'm not alone!

I always have the dream that I can no longer control my class and have to shout, then lose my voice completely.

The other night I dreamt I was late on the first day back and I had forgotten to do my new seating plan and get new books for the new girl I have starting in my class next week. (Primary)

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I always have the same dream, which is me walking into the staffroom on the first day of term and my HOD starts shouting at me for not turning up to work - in the dream, I have gotten the dates for the holidays mixed up and should have been back in work sooner.

9. I had a dream last week in which I gave birth in my classroom and no-one would help me! I was shouting at the class (Year 11 I think) and they just carried on chatting!

I'm 17 weeks pregnant at the moment, so I'm hoping that this doesn't come true!

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have been having my back to school nightmares for the last couple of days. I have done a bit of planning today in the hopes that stops it.
    These have all been based around still trying to plan the lessons while my classes are coming in and still struggling to open things on the computer while they start to riot around me.

11. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I have had a lot of dreams like this towards the end of the holidays. Often dream that Ofsted are coming and I can't even find my classroom! Last night dreamed that class weren't listening to me and I had completely forgotten any behaviour management strategies.

12. The back to school nightmare started last night!
    Horrible one this time with the usual theme of not remembering any names of any children then losing control of all of them. They won't listen to anything, they won't do anything and I end up screaming and shouting but hardly any noise is made. Then all of the children run away and get lost!

13. Ohh, I've had a lot of these dreams in the last week. I'm doing my PGCE at the moment and having got some confidence up before the holidays I'm now back at square one!
    I had spinal surgery in the last week of term and I'm not as recovered as I was hoping would be. I am now constantly dreaming that I'll have to lie down half way through every lesson to get me through them. As well as the general fears of trying to control a room of 30 screaming boys swinging the computer mice around their heads and beating each other with keyboards...

14. Mine is usually music related.
    I dreamt that I had started in a new school (unlikely, been in my place 14 years and no plans of moving!) and that I had led my class through to the hall for assembly. When I got there, I found it was my turn to play the piano. I apologised and said that my usual day was different in my last school, but I couldn't get out of it. I sat at the piano in my dream and leafed through the music book trying to find something I could play, then realised that I had no idea what it was that the school was used to singing for assembly.
    It is a recurring dream, but usually is set in the school I work in, the new school was def a variation on a theme.

15. I always have nightmares about being late to school with nothing organised and the children behaving like zoo animals. Its horrible, no matter how fast I try to get to school I can never get there on time. Love the fact you actually managed to control the children in your dream though - almost like lucid dreaming!

16. Mine is along the same lines as most peoples back to school dreams.
    Can't control the class, they are rioting, I'm shouting but either no words come out or can't be heard above the din. Sometimes I thew things onto the floor and have a tantrum in front of them.
    Don't know of any other profession that gives so many people nightmares !

Remind me again.... why do we do this job?

17. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Before teacher training I worked in scientific research. I was still having nightmares about my project seven years after I finished!

18. Don't worry Sam I had about 2hrs sleep last night and I've been teaching 20 years its nothing to worry about.

19. Yes!
    My nightmare is I walk into a fruity Y9 classroom and go utterly blank. Nothing comes out. I wake up in a cold sweat with that one!

20. I always dreamt I was late for a meeting in a building I didn't know so was constantly lost. When I saw Harry Potter though my dream was broken by those moving staircases. No wonder I couldn't find my way around!![​IMG]