1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School doing mock inspections

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by fudgesweets, Dec 9, 2015.

1. fudgesweets

fudgesweets New commenter

If there is a senior leader, head or anyone else who is a big decision maker in the school, please read:

My school has decided to their own one weeks notice inspections across different departments. They are due a visit from Ofsted next year, which is why they have done this.

1) Realise that teaching is the most important element of the school

2) stressed out teachers can't teach well

3) Ofsted do the inspections, that is what they are there for

4) Do not go overboard in the last minute, surely Ofsted will pick up that your planning is rubbish

5) What are mock inspections meant to achieve?

6) Read the new document/ press release by Nicky Morgan regarding marking/trusting teachers

7) Let us do our job, we don't want to jump hoops and tick boxes for paper work

8) Calm the hell down, inspection is good, it will tell you what to improve on

9) there are inconsistencies across departments- that will always be the case, do back off, staff leave near inspections because of the stress the school itself creates

10) Rant over. Let me do my job.

needabreak and FrankWolley like this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Nice little earner for recently retired heads who miss terrifying their staff.
    What would be more productive would be to get supply in for a day for a department, and then have the consultant / adviser talk to the department in a non-threatening way about how the department works, why things are the way they are, what's good already and then what they could do to improve their practice.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Self-flagellation.

Hail OFSTED.

4. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Will schools ever learn?? Give the teachers a bit of breathing space and let them teach!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

This constant interfering and under-mining of staff is the single reason why teachers are leaving.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I used to work for a school that did this, the main issue (apart from all the pre-preparation that was involved) was that something usually 'came up' meaning that the SLT that were supposed to be involved in lessons observations didn't come and then the whole thing was rearranged. Cue lots of very unhappy teachers!

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

And before somebody says "Why aren't the Unions doing something about this?"

Action short of strike action instructions
    Instruction 6: Members are instructed not to participate in mock inspections commissioned by the school, sponsor/provider or local authority. Members are instructed not to undertake or co-operate with any preparation for a Section 5 or Section 8 Ofsted inspection commissioned by the school, sponsor/provider or local authority.

Of course this relies on the staff being prepared to back the Rep who has to stick his head over the parapet and inform the Head that "THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE" and despite my militant talk I have failed to rouse the staff to back me (and the other Rep) sufficiently on this matter.

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I worked in a school,which had this set up and each department knew when they would be checked as it was the same programme each year. I believe the idiocy of the situation came to light when the departmental where I was a member was checked 2 weeks AFTER the official Ofsted inspection. :confused:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. fudgesweets

fudgesweets New commenter

Grrrrrr. Now we have to make sure our department handbook is up to scratch. We are asked to include silly things. I said to my line manager: "yes inspectors are brainless idiots who are going to read every line in my handbook and say, where is your statement about British values?.. we are so smart we just need to write everything in the handbook, I tell you what I will write down when I go to the toilet too. "

It didn't go down well, I received an email requesting a meeting about my conduct.
    Very close to walking away from this teaching farce. Another maths on the way out. Love teaching, hate all the completely over the top and unnecessary admin due to inspections.

10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I understand your frustration with the handbook. It has become a tick list task for your manager.

Some times it best to just agree and copy and paste some nonsense off the Internet. Recognising that it's a pretty pointless task and pointing it out to your manager, is ultimately going to cause more grief for you and a greater waste of your time.

images-19.jpg