1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by miss_coates, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Can anyone clarify what is meant by 3 years career experience?!
    Im currently starting my 2nd year as a LSA in a Secondary school but prior to this was an Exam Invigilator for 2 years and volunteered in my old secondary school for too many years to remember!
    If anyone can clarify question above would greatly appreciate it!
    :)

2. Can I clarify this 3 years work experience after graduation please? I have been working as a TA, now HLTA for the past 5 and a half years and prior to that worked in retail management for 11 years. However, I only completed my degree last year. Does this mean I have to wait 2 years before applying for a Schools Direct salaried place?

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

This seems to be the case if the SD guidance just sticks with 3 years after graduation which in many cases-including yours- is ridiculous. The funding arrangements are due to be announced in October so there may be further clarification issued at that stage as the Teaching Agency plan to set up a single application system for all SD applicants so I expect there to be press and publicity announcements.

4. This is from the DfE website:
    "...the School Direct Training Programme (salaried) will be open to graduates with three or more years’ career experience."
    To me this reads that you have to fulfil two requirements: you have to be a graduate, and you have to have three or more years' career experience. It doesn't imply or state that the experience has to follow the graduation.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The 3 years after graduation was based on the initial guidance issued to providers in the handbook and may have been an oversight . However until there is further specific guidance produced then its all speculation. They need to clarify exactly what is meant by work experience, does it include placements as part of degrees, school work experience , Saturday jobs etc.

6. It seems that the whole scheme is very confusing at the moment. I have spoken to my local uni about the work experience issue and they don't know what the exact criteria is. They suggested waiting until applications open and seeing what happens. The goal posts just keep moving, I am desperate to start my teacher training, it's all I've worked for since I changed career 6 years ago! Why is it so hard?!

7. I spoke to Teaching Agency yesterday regarding the criteria for School Direct (Salaried) and he confirmed guidlines stipulate 3 years post grad working -so i replied someone with a degree could have worked in Mcdonalds(or similar )for 3 years post grad and qualify..and he said yes.
    I explained my situation- that I'm about to finish my Drama degree having been a Professional Actor/Singer for 20 years.. and he replied that if the Training Provider sees this they could waive the 3 year post grad work rule, as it is their final decision !