1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School direct, young children

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tashatownsend, May 9, 2019.

1. tashatownsend

tashatownsend New commenter

Hi guys,

So its my first time posting in here. I have been accepted to start a school direct (unsalaried) programme in september. The school its self is in my town so not too far away. The uni is about 30 min drive again not too bad. My main concern are my daughters i have a partmer who works 37 hours a week but who will do everything when im not there and a mum who will cover any gaps where none of us are available for the girls. My eldest turns 4 in august and starts full time reception. My youngest turns 1 in august so will be with my mum or my partner while im not there. She is still breast fed too. Am i trying to do the impossible any advice will be very welcomed. As honestly im having a bit of a freak out. Im trying to get organised as im not the most organised person too. So literally any advice experience or tips
    Thanks for reading this far sorry its a long one.

2. helloteaching2019

helloteaching2019 New commenter

Congratulations on your place, that’s fantastic news!!

I have a very similar situation (just minus the 1 year old), people have told me to get done everything I want to get done such as house decorating, organising clothes etc etc. Buy a slow cooker, be organised with folders, notepads, diaries. It seems like ages away but it’ll be here in a heartbeat.

You certainly aren’t trying to do the impossible, sounds like you have a fantastic support system too!!

Sorry this isn’t much help but you can do this :)

3. tashatownsend

tashatownsend New commenter

I do have a great support system my parents and partner are fantastic. I wouldnt consider it without them if im honest. Ive always wanted to do this but I am just so worried about my little ones and my capability to be both mummy and teacher xx

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2019
  4. helloteaching2019

helloteaching2019 New commenter

Know what you mean - sometimes I don’t feel like I have enough time to be a Mum let alone take on a new job, that’s not just a job, it’s a vocation!!

Hope you’re okay :)

5. kirstie_i

kirstie_i New commenter

Congratulations on getting a place!

I was in a similar situation this time last year, as I've currently got an 18 month old. It has been a tough year so far, especially when it feels like there isn't enough hours in the day to get everything done! I've found having a great support system a massive help in getting through so far. I found using a planner and spreadsheets helped with staying organised. Also, i'm not sure if it will work for you, but I try to stay at school later to make sure all my planning, printing etc is done, and then finishing uni work once the little one has gone to bed.

Make sure you try to keep a weekend free every now and again just for some you/family time where you can just unwind.

Good luck and I hope you've found this helpful in some way :)