1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct Salaried

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by elainechris, Dec 13, 2015.

1. elainechris

elainechris New commenter

I'm currently working in a primary school as a LSA and have been given the job opportunity for after Christmas to work as an unqualified teacher. I have only been in the job role of a LSA since the beginning of September and was in uni previous to that,so its a massive step up in a very short amount of time.

I had my first interview with school direct salaried last week and i'm pretty sure it went well. I have my secondary interview after Christmas which will be the final decision of my placement. I'm quite worried about the drop in salary that has happened to school direct salaried places. £5k is meant to be the expected pay rate for primary places, which to me seems very low. It's lower than student finance and I'm not sure how I am meant to survive on that, paying rent, travel and food etc. The school i should be working at (fingers crossed) is the school i'm working in at the moment.

They have a high amount of FSM students so I would be entitled to a slight amount of extra funding according to the government website, but only 10% which would only bring it up to £5.5k

I wondered if anyone knew of any grants or bursaries for SDS especially after these cuts. It doesn't make sense for tuition fee places to offer more money than salaried places. I mean i know that there wouldn't be the loans to pay back, but £5k doesnt seem like an easy amount of money to live on for a year on one of the hardest years of someones life. The stress of the job is going to be hard enough without panicking and worrying about finance issues

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think you are wrong here. The salaried positions pay more than 5k. Quickly had a look and a PDF file from the Dept of Education states salaries start at 21k?

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. elainechris

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think that is the contribution the training provider will make towards the salary. The rest will be made up by the school I assume

I quote from the document

'NCTL funding is used to cover SNITT training fees and to make a contribution towards your salary. Salaried trainees are usually paid on point one of the unqualified teacher scale although Free Schools and Academies have the power to set their own pay rates. Trainees in high priority Secondary subjects and school funded trainees will normally be issued with a 0.8 fte contract for 12 months. A higher salary package is available for suitably qualified and experienced trainees in Maths and Physics.

Trainees in priority secondary subjects will normally be issued with a 0.7 fte contract for 9.5 months.

Trainees in primary will be offered a contract in the range 0.4 to 0.7 for 9.5 months'

That is my reading of it anyway.

5. elainechris

will have to talk to my head teacher to see what they think of it and what is expected. I hope it is higher as otherwise i don't know how i am going to survive ><

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Yes - My D-i-L completed a salaried schools direct course last year (secondary) and I think she was on about 21k.

7. elainechris

oh thank god, i'm really hoping this is the case. Then i dont take a massive drop in salary.

8. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

You should get paid as an unqualified teacher for your area + any allowances.
    I did it last year and I got inner London + SEN which came to roughly 23k.

You get paid a salary because you "only" get QTS at the end of it and you don't get any full time student discounts like on public transport.
    The school gets funding from the government to pay your salary.

Congrats by the way!

9. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

I am on school direct salaried and get 16k which is £1150 a month. I am paid as an unqualified teacher. If you are outside London it should be roughly the same as me. I couldn't live on 5k it would just about cover the childcare!