1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct (Salaried) Work Experience

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by GenericPrimaryTeacher1, Jun 24, 2020.

1. jamthatjam12

jamthatjam12 New commenter

Hello,
    I’m looking to do a school direct salaried for a September 2021 start, but noticed some providers ask for 3 years’ worth of work experience. I don’t have any formal full time work experience, but I have spent just over 2 years volunteering at a primary school alongside some part time work. Will this be acceptable for a salaried route?- this is the route that I’d prefer because I want to spend the maximum amount of time at school and feel a part of the school community as opposed to spending some time at a uni and then some time going to different schools.

2. safnor

safnor New commenter

Best to call the provider and ask directly. If you speak to the right person they can be very helpful. In my experience

3. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Very much doubt it. Most of the people I know who have got a salaried route place have been working in schools for six years or more or have previous careers that involved working with young people. There are very few salaried places these days.

4. pauly22

pauly22 New commenter

It is possible, for sure, but I'm not sure how many salaried primary places there are in your local area. I have to disagree with the poster above, it is possible to get onto salaried with no experience whatsoever (I did!) but perhaps this is only in priority secondary subjects?

Since you will be working directly for a school on the salaried route, have you already built up good connections with a school that you know take trainees on? As it will ultimately be the school that pay you your salary. If not, you might want to look around and start volunteering in a local "training school" - have a conversation with them about the possibility of undertaking ITT with them in September 2021.

5. jamthatjam12

jamthatjam12 New commenter

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure how many places they have, but as I'm based in London, I've found at least 9 different providers. It's reassuring to know that you got onto a salaried ITT without any experience. I'm hoping that at least one of these providers will be willing to take me on (It's worth a shot!).

I was hoping to get some additional voluntary work in the summer term, but it didn't happen because of obvious reasons. The school I volunteered with aren't a teaching school. I've spent the past few days contacting some of the providers and the majority of them have said that voluntary work should be acceptable. One of them said that they'll be happy to take me on, but I'm growing very sceptical of them as they are an academy chain with a very high teacher turnover and many teachers have said that it's miserable working there. I'm hoping that as I've done a few CPD courses and recently became an Apple Teacher, that it would improve my chances so I'm going to try applying for salaried at first- the worst they can do is say no, right? If not, then I'll probably apply for a tuition fee school direct (at this point I'd be happy as long as I can do an ITT!)

6. pauly22

pauly22 New commenter

No problem, personally I would say 2+ years would be more than enough and I'm sure there will be some providers willing to take you on with that. I would also strongly advise (as it sounds like you are already doing so kudos to you!) to avoid said academy chain... I don't know which one you are talking about but personally there are a few that I wouldn't want to work for. Training is stressful enough (what with essays and the portfolio) when working in a supportive school, I can't imagine training in a school where experienced teachers are miserable and constantly leave.