1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct (salaried) wants to change ITT provider

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by zakazaka, Mar 18, 2016.

1. zakazaka

zakazaka New commenter

Dear all I need an info.

I'm a Trainee-teacher School Direct (salaried) - PGCE. I have started the programme in September and after 7 months I have decided to quit as I don't believe in the philosophy of the Training Provider. You must think I'm crazy to leave right almost at the end, but things are not really good at the moment. I have already given my resignation. I wonder if this will be considered as a failing step, and also if I can change the ITT provider while keeping my annual mentor and school reports up to date. I don't mind to go to a non-salaried or simply QTS. I really think that it is unfair for me to be stuck with an Academy and not to have the possibility to move to a different context. Thanks for your help

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If you have resigned then your training is going to cease - although you won't be considered to have technically failed, you will have withdrawn from your training programme. Post resignation I doubt there is a possibility of you transferring. SD is very complex with regard to the dynamics of training whilst salaried and this sort of issue can be a minefield. Could you talk to your HEI for advice?? You could reapply, although do be aware that HTs talk.

3. zakazaka

zakazaka New commenter

Well, although I have officially resigned, they asked to meet so I can sign the documents. However, while I have been waiting in order to do so after the Easter break, I've also realised that I've the opportunity to ask for a deferral and "maybe" transfer to a different institution in the future. To be honest, what concerns me most is my future and CV. Do you think that this can have a negative impact on my professional career? Even if this will not involve teaching?? I don't want that this experience may look like as the inability to follow through and so lack of professionalism! Also, we did not end in good terms and I'm afraid they are going to use this against me in the future!! I was thinking that if I don't complete the programme I can omit in my CV that I was in the SD programme, while stating that I have simply worked as unqualified teacher! What do you think?

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I don't think it is ever good to lie on a CV - but I guess technically you have been working as an unqualified teacher. If you haven't failed then you are able to undertake ITT in the future, but you do need to take some time to reflect on and unpick what has happened. Although you may feel hard done by these things are rarely one sided and it is important to learn from the experience so that the same thing does not happen again.

zakazaka likes this.
  5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you are employed on a salary then switching providers is not really practical as your employment contract is with a specific school.
    You need to declare that you have started on a school direct in future applications.
    You should really seek the advice and support of your union before signing anything

zakazaka likes this.