1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct Salaried v Fee Paying

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by andrew_heinrich, Jan 10, 2016.

1. andrew_heinrich

andrew_heinrich New commenter

Hello everyone,

New to the forum - be nice :)

Just applied with UCAS for school direct teacher posts in Biology (career switch from 20 years working in the lab) and over the next fortnight have interviews for both salaried and fee paying positions. Main question is what I should be looking for/asking about the differences between the 2 routes? Any advice from interviewees (or interviewers) as to the main differences between the 2 processes? (the interview days rather than the routes themselves)

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I would definitely ask about the support the school is going to give you and how much you are expected to teach throughout the year, especially if you are salaries.
    I have done the salaried route last year and my school is great but I heard many stories of student teachers who were given almost full responsibility from day 1 because they were paid.
    Also find out how much time you will get to observe others or even work on your course work. Again, in theory you should be given time to do this but many schools tend to use you as an extra TA in class if you are not teaching.

Good luck with your interviews!

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

A salaried trainee will (obviously!) be being paid by the school, and the expectations may be commensurate with that. There will be an expectation of accountability for learning - to what extent depends on the school and you need to ask questions to find out what actually that will look like.

4. andrew_heinrich

andrew_heinrich New commenter

Thanks both. Have received a conditional offer for fee-paying route, salaried interview tomorrow. Then it may be decision time!