1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct (Salaried) Is it a real option?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by g_a_willson, Feb 19, 2020.

1. g_a_willson

g_a_willson New commenter

Hi, first time posting here so thanks for all the help from people who have commented on other posts before that have helped me in the past without meaning to.

I've been teaching in Thailand for over 9 years now, all actual schools and not language centres, I completed a PGCEi last year and have been applying for jobs back in the UK. I didn't think the School Direct route would be an option to me as I need a set minimum salary to be able to make coming back feasible, but having looked at the salaries it could be an option. However, having spoken to some people it seems that it's difficult to get on this course unless you're already working at a school. Is this true? And what are other people's experiences of getting onto the School direct (salaried) course.

Thank you for your help and sorry if it doesn't really make sense, hope it does.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do you need to do something like Schools Direct? Does your PGCEi not qualify you to teach in England?

3. g_a_willson

g_a_willson New commenter

It doesn't give QTS, which is why I'm looking at School direct as if I went the assessment only route for QTS it is 5k. My thinking is with the school direct route I may receive more support and end up with QTs for cheaper. However, having talked to a few friends who have done the school direct route the support is from the school so it might not be that much of a difference.

4. citruspers

citruspers New commenter

Have you thought about applying to independent schools? The two I have worked for have unqualified teachers in abundance.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Whereas the ones I know, have taught in or are looking to apply to, all have only qualified teachers.
    But I agree it is a possibility.
    I think free schools can also appoint unqualified teachers.

Mind you, you'll earn peanuts as an unqualified teacher.

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I did the School Direct unsalaried and it's comprehensive. I wasn't part of a school. You're lucky if you can get salaried but with your experience, there might be a school which will find that an attractive prospect. You really don't know until you apply. It will also depend what subject/year group you're after.

7. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

I did the School Direct route, was earning marginally more during the training than I did as a TA and more importantly, incurred no debt for my training, had plenty of on the job experience and got offered a job really quickly. A lot of TA jobs seem to be advertised as "graduate trainees" and when you read the small print these seem to be actually places on a salaried training route. I saw a few on the guardian website if that helps.