1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct salaried, help needed!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lyonsd78, Mar 4, 2016.

1. lyonsd78

lyonsd78 New commenter

Hi guys,

Sorry for the bother. I have been successful in applying for a Salaried teacher training position in a secondary school in Birmingham. I was delighted as I am coming from a journalism background where the money was quite good. I couldn't afford to take a year without salary. However, I assumed I would be earning around £22,000 on the salaried route, but the school have just written to me, confirming salary of £16,000.

With a mortgage and a small baby I can't really afford this much of a drop in salary without going into debt and it is making me question whether or not I can follow through with this shift in career.

Can anybody tell me if there are ways in which I can sneak up the unqualified teacher band towards the mid-20s? Are there notches I can add to my belt? Are the school likely to listen to my concerns if I request more money?

Sorry to come across like a money-hungry kinda guy - I'm genuinely not. I had been earning good money in journalism but want to get into teaching as I have a big passion for it. I'll be taking a drop either way...but I would just like to minimise the drop if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

D

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

Hello D,

Where did you get the 22 from? You will be paid as an unqualified teacher and for outside of London that is around 16. If you would train in inner London and have a SEN allowance you would get around 22.
    When you qualify, next year, it will be around 22 for you.
    You could ask your school but the salaries are quite fixed.
    Sorry, this is probably not the answer you were hoping for.

Sofia

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

You can ask, but all they are obliged to do is pay you at at least point 1 on the UQT scale. I'd say it's pretty unlikely that you'll get more, I'm afraid.

5. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

The majority of schools are dropping out of salaried schools direct because of a £5,000 grant cut to schools so at the moment, sorry to sound harsh, but anyone securing a place with the standard £16,000 unqualified wage should be delighted with the offer. Give it two years and I don't think anyone will be paid to learn to teach at all