1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

School-direct salaried for international applicants

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by stroks, Nov 13, 2017.

  1. stroks

    stroks New commenter

    Hello TES community!

    I am Russian by nationality and have never been to UK yet. I would like to get PGCE+QTS to become a maths teacher. There is a route called "school-direct (salaried)". It requires a kind of visa that allows to work in the UK. Do you know if there is a problem getting this visa once you've got an offer from such a program? The number of applications through UCAS is limited by 5, so I want to make sure that I spend them wisely. Meaning I don't end up with an offer to a salaried PGCE without the opportunity to get the visa for it and no remaining attempts to apply for non-salaried ones!

    Looking forward to your thoughts/advice on this.
  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

    School Direct (salaried) places
    These places are aimed mainly at graduates with 3 or more years’ work experience. However, schools can decide to accept applications from people with less work experience to attract high quality candidates in hard to fill subjects. Prospective candidates are expected to be career changers who can bring valuable skills and experience to the teaching profession. This experience does not have to be from an educational setting. For example, experience could have been gained in the financial, engineering or manufacturing sectors.

  3. stroks

    stroks New commenter

    Thanks for your reply, Wotton! I am sure I am passing by this criterion since I've worked as a researcher for 4 years (in Germany). However, what I really wanted to know is whether I will have problems obtaining visa once I get accepted for such program. Because I am an overseas applicant, and getting work permission in the UK, which is implied by school direct (salaried) could be a problem.
  4. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    You are not eligible for a place on School Direct salaried, as you are not resident in the UK / EU.

    To be resident you must have lived in the UK or EU for at least 3 years prior to the start of the course.

    The residency requirements exist because the course is funded by public funding, which non-residents are not entitled to.

    You will find the details from the DfE here: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/overview

    So, your question about visas is moot.

Share This Page