1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct (Salaried) fees?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mark_0dN4MKa, Jul 18, 2019.

1. mark_0dN4MKa

mark_0dN4MKa New commenter

Just had a bit of a shock...

I'm due to start my salaried School Direct training in September but the school have just said that I need to pay £2k fees to the university.

My understanding is that the school paid all the fees. During my application, UCAS very clearly say that salaried School Direct trainees don't pay any tuition fees: https://www.ucas.com/teaching-option/school-direct-salaried

What am I missing?

Does any one else have any experience of this?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It clearly states in the link you have provided that:

This route allows you to learn ‘on the job’ and earn a salary while you train towards Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). It’s an employment-based route for high quality graduates, typically with at least three years’ transferable work history. While the majority of School Direct training programmes include a PGCE qualification, not all do. If gaining a PGCE is important to you, check with your training provider before applying. You will receive an unqualified teacher's salary from your school, and the cost of your training will be covered, but you may be charged for your PGCE fees if awarded.

AND

While the majority of School Direct training programmes lead to a PGCE qualification, not all do. Where this is an option, there may be an additional cost required for completion of the PGCE – if gaining master’s credits is important to you, check with your training provider before applying, to confirm exactly what is included on your chosen training programme.

You are being asked to pay £2k for the PGCE element. The QTS element is being covered by the school.

Is there an option to not get the PGCE, and just get QTS? Ask the school.

3. helloteaching2019

helloteaching2019 New commenter

All of the salaried routes near me required you to pay the 2k fee to the university, it seemed pretty standard.

Hope you managed to get it sorted :)