1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct providers forced to fast-track candidates in teacher training 'free-for-all'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Dec 15, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

As some providers have grown rapidly overnight so a lot of trainees will have new mentors who have never mentored before. Many experienced mentors will have no trainees next year. Well done.
    More popular courses are filling up with the weaker applicants who apply early. Stronger applicants who apply late will find there are no places left for them. They will go off and get a job in industry instead of going into teaching. Well done.
    Men, mature students, people from less certain financial means will apply late and find there are no places. These people will no longer be able to be excellent role models for the next generation. Super.
    University providers who could fill courses that SD cannot fill are prevented from recruitng and thus overall the course under recruits. This includes English. Sheer madness. Still, well done.
    All admissions staff are working every hour God sends with standards plummeting, instead of spreading their workload out over the year. Sigh.
    Students who have a clear first choice still get invited for interview by two other providers who spend considerable money on this interview for no reason before having to cancel the interview when they are told at 5pm there are no more places. Let's hope you haven't bought a train ticket. What a terrific new system! You couldn't waste more money if you tried.
    If you receive an email saying, don't worry, we won't close the course without notice, expect the course to be closed within the next 48 hours. Seriously, they are a laughing stock. Every provider in the country can't believe the shambles that they are witnessing. Well done.

Middlemarch, lanokia and oldsomeman like this.
  3. drek

drek Star commenter

I believe you for the simple reason of the number of colleagues who are forced to become mentors after barely completing their own training, complaining about the level of spoken English among new recruits. Some new recruits are learning English 'on the training', at first I thought it was a sign of shortage, but you are right, once again, it could be a sign of an inefficient system, the 'I want it now' style management that runs through our public services.
    The same system is running UCAS applications. I could not believe how a London university that proclaims it is outstanding for producing future engineers and received some sort of award from the dfe for this, took on a student who was predicted and obtained a U in both Maths and physics! He applied early and got written the most glowing reference ever. Some poor student probably did not get a place because they got the grades they worked hard for, but were on time with their application (on time means late right?) and their reference was truthful but not full of imaginative bs!

oldsomeman likes this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

A Department for Education spokesperson said the new system gave providers “much greater flexibility to recruit the best trainees, while reducing bureaucracy”.

HOW does putting providers in a race to recruit as many as possible in the shortest time possible give them "much greater flexibility to recruit the best trainees"?

Yoda- likes this.
  5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

fuzzy_logic_by_schwartzillustration-d4nrx5r.jpg

cissy3 likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Just when you thought it couldn't get any barmier.

No doubt the system ticks some ideological box.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, we are in a race to the bottom to enable some providers to make a healthy profit by providing a very basic model of QTS only teacher training in exchange for £9k. They are doing this by preventing HEI providers who are providing a subsidised PGCE course at M level with QTS for £9k. It costs HEIs more than 9k to run the course but the VCs like the prestige of being involved in ITT. Well, some of them. Bath, Open Uni, etc have all cut these expensive courses.

Ideologically, however, there needs to be a market with frequent failures and substandard provision so this is why the new system is in place.

And they are doing this by intervening in the market and preventing students who want a PGCE with a HEI from buying that course. I'm not a right wing free marketeer, so I'm not wholly clear how intervention is part of the ideology.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Now I think of it, a similar thing happened in my school the year before I left. I've mentored ITT students for nearly 20 years, the last one I had - as a favour on my part - was hard work, not his fault I was about 90% of his support and contact. I wasn't given any time to mentor him, nor any money, nor was it part of PM so it didn't count unlike the things that it left me less time to do.

The school made a big push to become a training centre and I was asked if I would be part of the mentor team. I said if I could have the time I would do it (an hour a week - in total it takes much more than that), I wasn't so bothered about money, I was told no, so I said I didn't want to do it. No problem, they just got some younger inexperienced mentors who had never done it before for which the students would be paying the school full whack.

In school training of course means no time for thought and formulating your own ideas about teaching from talking to tutors, other students, from lectures, seminars etc. etc. Just learn how to do things the school way without deviation, follow instructions and you'll pass. A nice compliant end product with no ideas above their station who might question management. The way my school was going I wouldn't recommend anyone give them 50p to be trained there.

9. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

I found the interviews very strange. A number were supposed to be group interviews and on one occasion, I was the only person to turn up! Others were one on one interviews. I cannot imagine it is very time or cost effective.

Coming from a different industry, I understand the need for changing a system that wasn't working. I do not feel this new system is particularly useful either. The school I have accepted said to me they thought they would have been stopped recruiting for anymore trainees but they haven't. So they carried on.