1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct Primary Trainee Teacher with PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Janey214, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Janey214

Janey214 New commenter

Hi all!

Has anyone any experience of doing the School Direct Primary Trainee Teacher Route with PGCE? I’m looking for an honest opinion of their experience and if the hard work paid off long term?

Thanks in advance

Janey

2. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Hi Janey

Are you thinking of the Salaried or Unsalaried route?

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

What do you mean by 'if the hard work paid off long term'?

Do you mean that you think school direct is a more challenging route, and you wonder if it's worth it? I think that school direct and uni routes are equally challenging, although perhaps in slightly different ways depending on the providers. I did school direct (secondary) but still did uni essays, just didn't attend any lectures, and we started our school placements before the uni people, so were in school while the uni people were still at uni.

There are lots of pros and cons to SD vs uni - search on this forum to find some - and consider your personal circumstances (children, transport, etc.). Regardless which route you choose, it will be hard work.

4. Janey214

Janey214 New commenter

It’s the salaried route I am looking into as I can’t afford to not earn anything for a year.

When I say would it pay off long term I mean is the sacrifice of working day and night for a year worth it for a career in Primary teaching.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You won't just be making that sacrifice for a year! It'll be a lot longer than that!

I guess it depends on your alternative prospects, whether it's worth it or not...

agathamorse likes this.
  6. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Indeed. Working day and night and weekends is par for the course in teaching. The hours are ridiculous not only when training but also in the job. Look around the forums. There is no work life balance in teaching in most schools these days.

install and Janey214 like this.