1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct PGCE vs. University PGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jakegordon53, Nov 8, 2018.

1. jakegordon53

jakegordon53 New commenter

Hi! I want to teach abroad, and I'm looking at teacher training routes. From what I've seen, international schools require you to have PGCE rather than just QTS, which is fine. However, I'm faced with the choice of either doing a University based PGCE, or a School Direct PGCE. School Direct PGCE seems the better choice, as they'll pay me a salary.

So my question is: Do international schools particularly care whether you got your PGCE through a university, or via School Direct? As long as you have a PGCE, does it matter one way or the other? For example, perhaps the name of the university, and the subject-specific nature of a uni PGCE would be preferred?

Many thanks in advance for your help with this.

2. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

QTS is fine in 99.9% of Internationale schools, in fact many international schools don't even require QTS.

So it won't matter whatever way you get QTS, just take the route that suites you best, I did the GTP (which has now been replaced by schools direct) which suited me as I was coming out of industry and needed the salary, I found the more hands on route suited me rather than the more academic route of the PGCE.

I have never had a problem with any jobs based on my teaching qualification.

In Dubai there are more rules relating to your degree than your teaching qualification.

3. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

I would suggest making sure what ever course you do, you get QTS and successfully complete the NQT year. That way you will be more secure for the future. You can teach in many international schools without QTS, however, that often comes with a price i.e. local hire contracts as appose to being considered as a foreign hire, this seems to be the case with the British International Schools.

I did the GTP course which I believe is the old version of the School Direct PGCE and have not faced any problems.

Good luck.

ed717 likes this.
  4. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Occasional commenter

You need to check visa requirements for the countries you wish to work in. Your first degree may also be a factor.

Schools which can pick and choose between applicants may prefer them to have studied at a prestigious university. There will always be schools which aren't fussy but they might not be places where you want to work.

ed717 likes this.
  5. ed717

ed717 New commenter

It depends on the school and country. I did my PGCE at York University, though one of the main reasons was because the bursary (shortage subject) was more than the salary I would have received with School Direct or Teach First. The other reason being if you end up in a dodgy placement school where you have little support, your university can really back you up and help you.

I know many schools (mine included) prefer the University PGCE as they like to put the university you went to on the school prospectus next to your name...they love to brag about qualifications and universities in Asia :)

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

A salaried SD course involves teaching like a Teach First - lots of teaching up front from the start and far less non contact time to do the academic work. If an international career is your target I would advise a traditional university led PGCE is the way forward so long as your subject attracts a bursary.

Be aware that SD is a misnomer. SD can be a QTS only course or a full university led PGCE. It did not replace GTP. SD Salaried replaced GTP and that remains the teaching like an unqualified teacher and being paid for it route.