1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct PGCE interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MissDCS, Nov 15, 2015.

1. MissDCS

MissDCS New commenter

I'm currently a TA and have an interview for a school direct course for 2016/17.

My brief for the interview is "Prepare and plan to teach a 30 minute cross-curricular lesson to a class which shows your flair for creativity." to teach to a Y3/4 class. I work in year 5/6 so am not really sure what level to pitch it at or what curriculum aspects to cover. I'm not too sure on how indepth they want the session, or whether they are looking more for multi skills teaching.

Any advice on general ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I'm guessing this is primary?

Cross-curricular lesson means they want you to teach more than one subject Eg Using Science and Maths in the same lesson, or using History and Art. (To be an Outstanding teacher you have to demonstrate numeracy, literacy and ICT in every lesson - so perhaps just including those?)
    Creativity is down to you.

Y3/Y4 is only 2 years lower than what you already work with, perhaps ask if you can observe one of their classes to see how they interact/behave.

They're fully aware that you're not a teacher and have no teaching experience (why else would yo be applying) so they aren't expecting something amazing. They're looking for potential, your ability to be creative and use your ideas, to plan a lesson, how you preset yourself around children, whether you're using the right language for that age group, are you using scaffolding? How are you assessing them throughout your lesson? Pair, group or independent work (and how does this benefit?) ?.