1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Direct mini teach

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dan1991h, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Dan1991h

Dan1991h New commenter

I found out this weekend I have an assessment mid week for a place on a school direct programme for this September.

I've got to do a mini teach for 10 year 3 pupils for 20 mins and my LO is "to find the total amounts of money up to £5". Does anyone have any ideas that could point me in the right direction - I'm so nervous!

Thank you!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You need to give the lesson a context. So much shopping is paid for by card or done online nowadays, that children may not have much experience of using money. A role play scenario is ideal for a short session like this, but you could also use a story or clip from a film.

You need to think about differentiation: this means, making your activity appropriately challenging for all the pupils. Some children will not be very confident at working with money (or, indeed, adding), whereas others will find it easy. You haven't even started learning to be a teacher yet, so you won't be expected to get this right! But they will be looking for an awareness that children need differentiated work.

Good luck!