1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School direct interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by courts_shaw, Nov 26, 2019.

1. courts_shaw

courts_shaw New commenter

hi I have an interview next week and I’ve been asked to plan a 20 minute activity using a story book as the focus. They haven’t told me the year group but said it is likely to be ks2. I have been thinking of using a Mr Gum book, firstly asking the children what their predictions are based on the title and front cover, then reading the first chapter, This book includes a lot of similes so have been thinking of discussing what a simile is, can we identify them in the chapter and as an extension can we discuss and make our own up to describe the character mr gum. What are your opinions on this or any other ideas would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

That sounds fine to me. They want to see that you can interact with children, not that you can plan a great lesson. They’ll teach you how to teach on the course. They want to know that you can handle being the main person in a room full of children. The plan is fine. Some will find it hard to come up with their own similes. Have some clozed exercises to hand in case.