1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School direct interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Jessjo68, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Jessjo68

Jessjo68 New commenter

Following on from my earlier post about selecting a poem and activity for a small group of year 4 students, I would like to use a poem by John Foster, called Four O'clock Friday - a short poem about a child who is bullied at school and longs for Friday afternoon when he will be safe for 2 days.
    I've chosen this because this week is anti-bullying week - my question is, is this a risky idea? It doesn't say the lesson has to be a literacy one, just an activity around a poem.
    I was planning to print out hand shapes and ask the children to write one thing that makes you a good friend, and then join them together in a circle of friendship.
    Any thoughts or suggestions please??
    Many thanks
    Jo

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Established commenter

Not risky, but try to create a positive outcome from the poem (it ends with the character wanting the weekend, not resolving the bullying - could they do an activity that extends the poem so that there's a more positive ending? Or discuss how to achieve a positive outcome for the character? Or role play a positive outcome?)

Look at the KS 2 curriculum for Y4 - there's a focus on comprehension in English, and inference. Try to incorporate these. When you are a teacher you must have an objective for each lesson - what do you want the students to be able to do by the end of the lesson? What skills or knowledge are they developing? Choose an outcome that's linked to the national curriculum, and think about how you could develop that skill/knowledge in a lesson.

I don't teach primary (I teach secondary English), but simply writing 'one thing that makes a good friend' doesn't seem like you're challenging the class at all. Also, the school didn't ask for an English lesson, but English is a core subject so you need to show them you are capable of teaching it.

3. Jessjo68

Jessjo68 New commenter

Thank you :) I had been slightly worried that the idea might not be challenging enough, but at the same time was concerned about the length of time allocated to the lesson (30 minutes) and having time to finish the activity.
    I like the idea of extending the poem, and perhaps asking the students to write a second verse, thinking of things the child could do the following week (talking to a teacher, asking to join a group at playtime etc) to make the following week a better one

An alternative might be to write something on each finger (so 5 attributes to make someone a good friend) but again, that may not be enough of a challenge?

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Established commenter

Keep it as an option for SEN or low ability kids.

Extending the poem - playing with language, getting them to rhyme etc is more challenging.

5. daisymagic

daisymagic New commenter

Hi Jessjo,

I have a primary school direct interview coming up and was wondering if you had any tips for the interview? Were the numeracy and literacy tests similar to the qts professional skills tests?

Thanks a million!